banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they make metal-oriented Filtertron replacements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they make metal-oriented Filtertron replacements?

I got offered a Cabronita Tele for my Epi LP. It looks cool, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like those Filtertrons, LOL.

Do they sell like off-the-shelf Black Winters in Filtertron housing or something? LOL. Maybe not that extreme, but along those lines. Or would I be stuck with low output super bright pickups?

I'm sure the CS could make it happen, but I don't want to have to spend CS money on a guitar I might not like just to see if I would actually like it.

Thanks!

The most "metal" Filtrons I know of are the TV Jones Classic Plus. They are around 8K. I remember seeing a video online of a guy playing Eruption with one. I would say the pickup will get you to Malcolm Young territory, but no, it is not a Black Winter. I have a TV Jones Classic Plus bridge in the neck of my Tele with a Hot Rails in the bridge. The guitar is a screamer.

Comment

Duncan and tv jones make hot filtertrons.
      but hot means PAF level output and tone.

there should be cheap ones with a ceramic out there.

i love filtertrons!
      with their HIFi quality they can sound quite evil with the right amp. They are quite gritty and clear, but get muddy and boomy pretty quickly if set too close.
      It‘s a mix between single coil and PAF sound. Best of both worlds.
      i use them more for the brain setzer thing, but they are very versatile.
      if set up right the supertron with high gain is a thing of beauty, the clarity from the neck puts every PAF to shame.
      if you start to like them you will not touch your black winter again! Be warned!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        The most "metal" Filtrons I know of are the TV Jones Classic Plus. They are around 8K. I remember seeing a video online of a guy playing Eruption with one. I would say the pickup will get you to Malcolm Young territory, but no, it is not a Black Winter. I have a TV Jones Classic Plus bridge in the neck of my Tele with a Hot Rails in the bridge. The guitar is a screamer.
        Powertron should be hotter.
        you can get way heavier than Malcolm. That‘s practically a clean amp, depending on the album.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
          if you start to like them you will not touch your black winter again! Be warned!
          I love mine, but they would never replace my Black Winters, they are two totally different animals.

Comment

I wasn‘t to serious about that and thought about adding a smilie, but then I might get trouble posting

Comment

I kind of wish one could get a Fender Wide Range in a regular sized HB for metal. They look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                I kind of wish one could get a Fender Wide Range in a regular sized HB for metal. They look cool.
                The Creamery will do them.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post

The Creamery will do them.
                  My understanding is it's hard to replicate the 70s versions because CuNiFe isn't used much anymore due to different manufacturing processes.

That said if I used an original spec in a HB size wound for metal I'm not sure it'd even be a Wide Range anymore. Just a humbucker with P-Bass style polepieces.

Comment

Yeah, told him I'd have to pass.

If it were P90's, I love P90's. And they make P90-sized Super Distortions.

But Duncan '59B is as low output/bright as I go, personally. But even then, I like to keep my guitars all within the same realm output wise depending on what I'm using at the time. And right now, it's 500T's, LOL.

Gonna have to keep on looking.

Comment

Just put a 3x3 cover on an Allan Holdsworth Metal Fatigue.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

Luthier tools and guitar building parts for domestic and import. You will find knobs, bridges, tailpieces, pickguards, inlays, speciality files, saws

oh, sorry, you want vintage CuNiFe tone in normal humbucker? Porter makes something, check the clips for tone

Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-29-2023, 11:50 AM.

Comment

I thought the Metal Fatigue was more of a fusion humbucker--perhaps not voiced quite tightly enough for metal? I thought it would sound along the lines of a JB meets Custom.

Comment

Also, I thought if the Wide Range were HB size, it would change the tone and thus not be a true Wide Range pickup.

Comment

I thought the Metal Fatigue was more of a fusion humbucker--perhaps not voiced quite tightly enough for metal? I thought it would sound along the lines of a JB meets Custom.
                            Could swap a Ceramic mag in there, then? Since it's a Custom Shop pickup, you can ask for what you want, same price.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Could swap a Ceramic mag in there, then? Since it's a Custom Shop pickup, you can ask for what you want, same price.
                              It's certainly one of the coolest looking SD pickups.

I didn't remember seeing these in Holdsworth signature Carvins so the look surprises me a bit.

Comment

Working...
                              X