Fender Player Plus Nashville Tele Mod wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Player Plus Nashville Tele Mod wiring help

hey y’all, i’m trying to help my friend with a mod he’s interested in trying but i’m having trouble 1) finding the current wiring diagram so i can understand the layout better, and 2) figuring out how to alter the change all together. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The mod in question is he is not happy with the 5 way selector. I’ve asked a few different methods we could try and the idea he has settled on is similar to how it is now utilizing the push pull to activate the neck pickup for the conventional bridge+neck tele tone, but he doesn’t like positions 2 or 4 whatsoever so he wants to have it be a 3-way switch similar to a vintage strat where you can get each individual pickup, with the push pull activating the neck in the bridge position.

this seems fairly easy to accomplish, but i’m having a hard time coming up with the existing diagram and an altered one to achieve what he wants, if you have any insight i would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Welcome to the forum

You don't need the existing diagram if you are changing everything to a 3-way with a push-pull to make the neck active. There are plain Strat diagrams that would show what you are trying to do. 3-way is the same as 5-way as far as wiring. The physical hardware of the switch handles whether there are 2+4 positions or not. The main difference is on the Strat versions just ignore the second tone control. Or use the standard Nashville Tele diagram and add the push-pull part from the Strat diagrams.

Standard Nashville Tele (has everything but the push-pull)

Here's a Strat diagram with the push-pull:

Here's another Strat diagram with the push-pull:

Comment

Note that the difference between Strat tones and Tele tones is the Tele is a master tone that is tapped off the volume control. (Strats have individual pickup tones which are tapped off the switch)

Comment

There are plain Strat diagrams that would show what you are trying to do. 3-way is the same as 5-way as far as wiring. The physical hardware of the switch handles whether there are 2+4 positions or not. The main difference is on the Strat versions just ignore the second tone control. Or use the standard Nashville Tele diagram and add the push-pull part from the Strat diagrams.
        That makes so much sense, I did not know a 3 way switch had the same layout as a 5 way! So in theory if we get a 3 way and solder it essentially the same way it already is currently on the 5 way it should maintain positions 1, 3, and 5 sans 2 and 4?

Comment

Originally posted by lifeinsteadofjesss View Post

That makes so much sense, I did not know a 3 way switch had the same layout as a 5 way! So in theory if we get a 3 way and solder it essentially the same way it already is currently on the 5 way it should maintain positions 1, 3, and 5 sans 2 and 4?
          Yes, not in theory, but in reality.

Comment

god bless reality. Thanks for the help! Gonna try it out soon

Comment

Originally posted by lifeinsteadofjesss View Post
              god bless reality. Thanks for the help! Gonna try it out soon
              Come back and let us know how this project turns out!
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X