banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a source for CTS 500k audio pots that are low friction/torque ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know of a source for CTS 500k audio pots that are low friction/torque ?

Title pretty much says all, except that there is no need to mention bourns. Looking for CTS only.

CTS doesn't make low-friction potentiometers. It's not an option when spec'ing a part.

Comment

Curious why you like CTS. I mean they are fine...I have many myself.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

the CTS 450G might be a little smoother:

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Curious why you like CTS. I mean they are fine...I have many myself.
          Because half of what being a guitarist is is being a slave to brand names
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post

Because half of what being a guitarist is is being a slave to brand names
            Possibly, but I'd be interested if there was actual real-world comparisons between the brands.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
              Ah, good one. They are starting to better accommodate musician usage. I even see a new long-shaft push-pull with a new part number for guitar specifically.

These are audio taper, however. Not sure if linear is out there also?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Possibly, but I'd be interested if there was actual real-world comparisons between the brands.
                I won't claim to be a representative sample size, but the two potentiometer's I have had break on me were Bourns blend pots. The rest of them have operated just the same as CTS thought
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Very simple reason. Bourns i used fr a time when i was buiding amps and they were just not made near as well. They didn't hold up to multiple solderings when i was experimenting where CTS did. CTS is much easier to fix if the crimps get loose. Then theres the fact that if i ray something else i don't know whether i will like the taper or if it will hold up. With CTS i know what i'm getting and like them. And NO, i don't go by what i read on the web.

Comment

If you spray a bunch of deoxit into a pot it will usually loosen up and turn much easier. I'd give that a shot if you can't find a specific 'frictionless' version.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      If you spray a bunch of deoxit into a pot it will usually loosen up and turn much easier. I'd give that a shot if you can't find a specific 'frictionless' version.
                      Never found that to work, but probably because what i consider low torque is far looser than the amount spraying it helps. But thats ok, i didn't want to replace the top hats on my new LP but i just ordered a set of speed knobs. They make them a lot easier to turn. Did that on my special but i don't like the look of speed knobs compared to top hats. But function over looks is always the rule for me. Plus i didn't like the white numbers on the stock hats because i couldn't see them and i DO use them. I found some gold with black numbers. So what the heck....can't have everything....

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post

Never found that to work, but probably because what i consider low torque is far looser than the amount spraying it helps. But thats ok, i didn't want to replace the top hats on my new LP but i just ordered a set of speed knobs. They make them a lot easier to turn. Did that on my special but i don't like the look of speed knobs compared to top hats. But function over looks is always the rule for me. Plus i didn't like the white numbers on the stock hats because i couldn't see them and i DO use them. I found some gold with black numbers. So what the heck....can't have everything....
                        Yeah, I was going to suggest that too. Speed knobs have a much bigger radius at the top so they require a lot less force to spin.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          These are audio taper, however. Not sure if linear is out there also?
                          there are different curves available, see page 1 of the pdf for reference

Comment

Originally posted by gimmieinfo View Post
                            Very simple reason. Bourns i used fr a time when i was buiding amps and they were just not made near as well. They didn't hold up to multiple solderings when i was experimenting where CTS did. CTS is much easier to fix if the crimps get loose. Then theres the fact that if i ray something else i don't know whether i will like the taper or if it will hold up. With CTS i know what i'm getting and like them. And NO, i don't go by what i read on the web.
                            That's cool, I can respect that.

Comment

dexoit is a cleaner, the same company makes a lubricant though. gold can vs red for deoxit. can recall the name though

Comment

Working...
                              X