Sell me on HSH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sell me on HSH

HSH has always been the read-headed step child for me as far as pickup configurations go. SSS is vintage Strat, HSS is vintage Strat plus a beefier bridge tone, HH is what I started out on for the longest time so I will always appreciate it, I even like HHH and xHH, but to me HSH doesn't make too much sense. Positions 1 and 5 get the most use for me, although I prefer the sound of a SC neck to an HB, and I will use the middle position for when I want Stratty sounds, but I have never liked 2 and 4 all that much anyways and whether you split the humbuckers or not they sound worse to me on an HSH.

Those of you guys that prefer HSH, why? and what circuit do you use?

I'm thinking about giving a Bluesbucker neck, Area 67 middle, and Super Distortion bridge a chance in a friends guitar that she is having me mod, so I got to wondering why people do it in general.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

if you dont like the notch positions, then hsh doesnt make a lot of sense to me. to me its about getting some stratty tones alone with the bridge and neck bucker tones

Comment

If you hate having space to pick between the neck and bridge on a 2 HB guitar, HSH is for you! :P
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I don't like HSH. It's a lot of fat tones and cluck tones but doesn't sound very rock. A lot of crap to have to just have a fat neck and rock bridge. If you stick a mini hum in the neck I think it's more versatile because the neck is a little fatter but still cuts, then you get your cluck positions, and your rock bridge.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I was looking at the Bluesbucker. It does a better P90 neck sound than some P90s. I don't know how it sounds split though. Right now I think the play might be 3-way blade. In which case it might be a bit better to put a single coil sized hum in the middle, say a Pro Track in the middle
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

As a fan of guitars with certain versatility i like HsH guitars for a long while. For a grinding rock tone, yep, you mostly use pos1 and 5. Okay. But for the arpeggios and cleaner parts pos 2 and 4 makes a lot sense to me, i really don't dig the tone while playing arpeggios with humbuckers; too matte to me. Nevertheless i can't defend middle position, i almost never use it.
            www.tonejourney.com
            www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

Comment

HSH position 4 neck / middle has never sounded much like a strat to me. I found it’s more useful as a clean rhythm tone with a bright neck humbucker and hum-cancelling single coil like the Area 67. My HSH setup normally has an auto-split for the bridge humbucker in pos 2, but I avoid the auto-split in pos 4 for the above reason.

Comment

"read-headed"? Freudian slip?

Comment

It rarely works. I like the look, like on that iron maiden strat I made a few years back (middle single was flush with the pickguard). But sometimes, like on that EVO set I used a while back, it works amazingly well.

I use a 5 way, 2 way toggle and push pull pot on that guitar.

toggle is middle on/off, push pull is split for the humbuckers.

The 5 way is bridge, both series, both parallel, both series out of phase, neck. The middle drops the output a lot, adds sparkle and cut, when the humbuckers are in full, and when I split it, I get very convincing strat tones.

It's hit or miss.

Comment

since

- I don't like middle SC position
                    - I don't' like position 2 and 4 in normal strat, even less if the mix is from SC and HB
                    - I don't like the crowded look od the pickguard

for me it's a full No.

Comment

i mean... i LOVED my old rg550. stock v1 and s1 with a fred in the bridge. every position sounded good and got use, was running a 2205 and 1960b at the time. hsh can be versatile and get you a bunch of great tones, if thats what you are going for

Comment

Working...
                      X