In defense of the reissue Fender WRHB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In defense of the reissue Fender WRHB

I just finished up a conversion project on my Tele Custom, where I converted it to a Deluxe. And I have to say, I’m blown away by how good it sounds. It just has the “fake” reissue wide range humbuckers, but I think they sound awesome.

Previously I had a JD and a A2P in my Custom, which sounded great. But I always wanted a Deluxe. Recently I was browsing EBay and a found a brand new in the package bridge position reissue WRHB for like 50 bucks. That’s when I decided to do the conversion.

Along with the pickup, I got a Deluxe pickguard and Wilkinson short bridge. Toughest part was routing out the bridge for the WRHB, which did with my Dremel plunge router.

Overall everything went pretty smoothly, and the results have me giddy. This guitar sounds so good now. These pickups are totally underrated in my opinion. I considered getting more expensive ones from SD or someone else. But I’m pretty satisfied with these. They sound both fat and articulate at the same time. Very crunchy. Could be the guitar wood and construction too, I’m not sure. But whatever it is, I like it!
    Last edited by Supernautilus; 11-03-2023, 02:00 PM.

People only don't like the older WRHB pickups because they are nothing at all like the originals. If you have not heard the originals, or don't need them t sound like them either, then there is no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      People only don't like the older WRHB pickups because they are nothing at all like the originals. If you have not heard the originals, or don't need them t sound like them either, then there is no issue.
      Well, I've heard demos on YouTube or whatever. I know those aren't always helpful. Still, I have to be honest and say that what I've heard hasn't exactly blown me away. The real ones sound ok I guess. Articulate for sure, but a little brittle sounding for my taste. Add on to that the fact that they are about 200 dollars a piece, which makes a set about 400 dollars. I have yet to hear 400 dollars worth of tone from the real WRHBs, if you know what I mean lol.

Comment

Trying to equate the unquantifiable to $$ is a fool's errand.

Its mostly done by those with cheap guitars trying to do the inverse snobbery thing to more expensive instruments of the same range.....usually rooted in some form of insecurity. Best not to stray down that path too far

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Trying to equate the unquantifiable to $$ is a fool's errand.

Its mostly done by those with cheap guitars trying to do the inverse snobbery thing to more expensive instruments of the same range.....usually rooted in some form of insecurity. Best not to stray down that path too far
          A little overboard I think.

But he DOES have a point and I tend to agree that you CAN have a cost vs benefit analysis with pickups. The biggest problem with it is that the benefit to each individual can vary WIDELY.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

A little overboard I think.

But he DOES have a point and I tend to agree that you CAN have a cost vs benefit analysis with pickups. The biggest problem with it is that the benefit to each individual can vary WIDELY.
            Thank you. Yeah, I wasn’t trying to disparage anything or anyone. I’m sure the premium WRHBs sound wonderful. And for those who can afford them, more power to them. I was just saying the cost wasn’t worth it to me personally.

I mean, I could send these reissues away to be rebuilt and it would still cost less than buying new premium ones. I may still do that someday, not sure. But for right now, I’m satisfied with these. They sound surprisingly good in this guitar.

Comment

Working...
            X