banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science Project #247 (...and counting...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science Project #247 (...and counting...)

Good morning! I have an old Yamaha SSC500 guitar, reminiscent of a strat set up. I recently found 3 single-space, double-blade pups on Reverb, that were purportedly made by Schaller for Godin, at some point. I've installed them with 3 individual series/off/parallel switches, the outputs of all 3 switches running directly to a 500k master volume pot (so pups are in parallel with each other), the single tone is another 500k with a 0.022uf cap. My question is, whenever I combine any of the pickups, I tend to get what I consider to be a 'compressed' tone. Is this a function of the drop in impedance, when the pups are in parallel with each other, or is it more likely a comb-filtering effect, based on the spacing of the pickups? Or a combination of the 2? Or...?

What is the DCR of the pickups? Are they high output? My guess is they are compressed individually a bit and you notice it more when combined.

Comment

Hi Beau, they're fairly low DCR, ballpark of 7.5k with both coils in series, and the series/parallel math all works out, so I'm reasonably comfortable that they're wired correctly. Not a bad sound, just a bit unexpected...

Comment

Working...
      X