Need help making a decision with a DD set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help making a decision with a DD set

So I'm getting ready to change out a WLH set in my LP. I was going to put a DD set that I've used in another guitar. They sounded great but they could be a little much at times. I've seen some post about the DDn being the sh-7 model and I'm curious.
    Anyone have experience with the sh7/ sh6n in the bridge position?
    If so, how would compare the two in the bridge spot???
    Does the sh6n have more treble response?
    Out of a 59n, pgn and jazzn which pu do you think would match the sh6n the best???

Thanks in advance. BigKurka
    There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes!

Schecter Hellraiser solo-6 and solo-6FR, Schecter C-1EX,
    Edwards LP Lemon drop, ES-335 copy, Fender Telecaster
    Boss GT-10
    Rocktron Velocity 300
    Two custom built 2x12 cabs with V-30 & G12T-75's in each cab
    Marshall Mode Four/MF 400 cab
    AMT Legend series pedals V1, F1, R1, E1, M1, P1, D2 and growing

I haven't used a DDn in the bridge, but I would say a Jazz matches the Distortion model (better than the other two) in general.

Comment

I've tried the Distortion neck in the bridge (7 string model) and liked it quite a lot. It's less fizzy than the bridge Distortion. Jazz neck would go with it nicely. I can't speak to those other neck models.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I would say the SH-6N is indeed brighter than the SH-6, but along the same lines in terms of EQ. Maybe a bit broader and less mid-focused. But hard to tell, since I didn't really love it in the bridge position, personally, so I didn't really spent all that much time with it.

I have not tried the Jazz or the '59 matched with the SH-6N, but I don't think they are a good match to the bridge Distortion whatsoever. At least not if you're looking for balanced output levels.

Comment

Put alnico in it if you think the DDs can be a little much. It tames it a little and it actually sounds like a classy pickup and it will match the neck better. I liked the DDn in the bridge. Sounded like a medium output Distortion to me.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 11-05-2023, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Clint 55 what alnico would you suggest? A double thick A5?

Boss GT-10
            Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

Clint 55 Would you also recommend swapping the neck pu magnet also? If so you think another double thick or just a regular A5?
                Thanks again

Boss GT-10
                Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

No double thick magnet for the neck, that makes it boomy. That only works for jazz, not general playing. You can stick with the stock A5, unless there's a different direction you want to go with it. Examples I like for neck are UOA5 for a little more complexity and richness without straying too much, or A9 for max bite.
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 11-06-2023, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I know the Jazz(n) is a bright pickup and matched a lot with higher output bridge pickups, but I really like the bright, slightly rude response of the PG(n). It has a different EQ than the Jazz and is sweeter and less hi-fi. The upper mids of the PG I think make the difference for me.
                    Play more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post
                      I know the Jazz(n) is a bright pickup and matched a lot with higher output bridge pickups, but I really like the bright, slightly rude response of the PG(n). It has a different EQ than the Jazz and is sweeter and less hi-fi. The upper mids of the PG I think make the difference for me.
                      A lot of people like the PG for these reasons.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks everyone. it'll be a week or 2 before i get a chance to swap my pu's out in my lp. The wifey just notified me that we have plans this weekend so of coarse all my plans are put aside.
                        I've been thinking and I want to try the stock sh-6n in the bridge spot first and I'll probably try it with the pgn and just experimenting.
                        Clint 55 What are the A9 mag characteristics other than more bite? Does it give the pu more output in the wat the A8 does?

Thanks again every one

Boss GT-10
                        Rocktron Velocity 300

Comment

A9 is like A5 but with aggressive upper mids. Same bass, same treble. Ends up more aggressive than A5 because it has the same top but some mid cut thrown in. The mids are higher up than A8's mid grind. It might be a little hotter than A5 but it's not as hot as A8. It doesn't have the synthetic character of A8 either. I like it for neck because it adds bite and cuts slop a bit while responding normally. It's possible to use it for bridge if you want it mega aggressive but I don't like it.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 11-08-2023, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X