banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a pickup advise for 1H guitar (non-modern metal sound)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a pickup advise for 1H guitar (non-modern metal sound)

Hello gentlemen

So I have a basswood Jackson with a maple neck-through and a rosewood fretboard. Originally, it had a Duncan Designed humbucker in it. Number 103 if I remember correctly. In 2017/2018, I put a Nazgul in it when I joined a melodic death project (not a huge fan but there were no other bands around lol), was ok for Standard C tones and single string tremolo picking.

Now I have an idea to tune the guitar up for more classic rock/metal sound. I found the Nazgul to "polite" for it, it just doesn't have balls. So I'm definitely looking for something else. The thing is, I have three other guitars.

- Charvel Desolation with stock (Alnico V?) humbuckers perfectly voiced for classic (hard) rock, tuned to standard E.
    - Jackson Randy Rhoads style with 1 humbucker, equipped with a Parallel Axis Distortion it's my go to for thrash metal, tuned to Standard D.
    - Charvel Desolation with a Black Winter set for various metal things, tuned to Drop C (a lot of bands I like happen to use this tuning and I also recorded plenty of own songs/riffs in this tuning).

Although Drop D may seem an obvious choice, I don't quite like it. I don't know what to play in it. Drop C feels more natural. So I'm pretty sure I'll go back to E standard to have a heavier/meaner cousin for my classic rock guitar.

OK, let's summarize.

What PASSIVE pickup do you guys recommend for a 1H 1 Volume basswood guitar with a TOM bridge and strings-trhrough body, maple neck-through and a rosewood fretboard, tuned to E standard for non-modern metal sounds (thrash metal, power metal, early Rammstein or maybe bands like Battle Beast - more recent but rather non-modern sounding). I play mostly rhythm but it would be nice to play a one or two solo lines without tweaking the amp or pedals.

Since I already have a dedicated classic rock guitar, I don't look for a Swiss army knife and compromises. High output and ceramic magnets are welcome. But reasonable medium output and Alnico XYZ recommendations that sounds better under high gain are also good. Everything with balls is good

I have two weaks to decide and then I'll bring the axe to a luthier.

I appreciate your time reading it and your advise.

Peace out.

I think I'd just go for a Custom.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My favorite two bridge HBs are Bare Knuckle "Cold Sweat" and "Rebel Yell". I don't know how they would come across in a basswood/maple combo. If it's a thick-sounding or balanced guitar they would be a good fit, but if the guitar is on the brighter or thinner side they probably wouldn't. A Duncan JB or Distortion would also be a good fit for this if you're ok with a bit more of a compressed feel and not as much string-to-string clarity.
      Take it to the limit
      Everybody to the limit
      Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

The Jason Becker Perpetual Burn would be good here. Not metal, per se, but can cover a lot of bases.

Comment

non-modern metal, basswood/rosewood, standard E...

JB
          Distortion
          Custom
          Custom 5
          Screamin' Demon
          Invader

Perpetual Burn is a good suggestion.

I've used a Black Winter, Distortion, StagMag or Custom in my Jackson for the above description.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I think I'd just go for a Custom.
            Sd pickup finder suggested this one for "more versatility". Whatever versatility means, I'll put it on my short list.

Comment

Invader with a volume only wiring, no tone pot. Just make sure to use a flat mounting-ring (low-height ring, like usually used in the neck position) because those huge hex-heads and strong magnets on the Invader mean it will need proper space between the strings and poles.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                The Jason Becker Perpetual Burn would be good here. Not metal, per se, but can cover a lot of bases.
                Weeell... Per se, I believe you have a good reason for suggesting this pickup but with the videos available on YouTubes, I'm not sure how it will fit my goals. People demoing it seem to want to highlight its lead qualities. Considering its price tag (a JB +20$ on top), I'm not sure it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Invader with a volume only wiring, no tone pot. Just make sure to use a flat mounting-ring (low-height ring, like usually used in the neck position) because those huge hex-heads and strong magnets on the Invader mean it will need proper space between the strings and poles.
                  I have only a volume, no tone. How a tone pot would affect the tone though, make it less clear?

Good point with a flat mounting ring. I think SD pickups have them by default in the box. Altough I might need a mounting ring with one side slightly higher. At least my current (stock) mounting ring is also assymetrical - one side is maybe 6 mm, the other is 7.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    non-modern metal, basswood/rosewood, standard E...

JB
                    Distortion
                    Custom
                    Custom 5
                    Screamin' Demon
                    Invader

Perpetual Burn is a good suggestion.

I've used a Black Winter, Distortion, StagMag or Custom in my Jackson for the above description.

The pickup finder throws the JB everywhere, just in case. Even for pop/rock But I will definitely think about it too. I think Scott Ian uses (or used) it and it's his signature guitar, so why not.

How was Black Winter? I'm very much interested to have at least two guitars with the same bridge pickup so I don't need to adjust the volume on the amp But I'm not sure about the woods combination. In mahogany, Black Winter crushes.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedingFingertips View Post
                      How was Black Winter? I'm very much interested to have at least two guitars with the same bridge pickup so I don't need to adjust the volume on the amp But I'm not sure about the woods combination. In mahogany, Black Winter crushes.
                      For me, in my Jackson, it was like a slightly warmer Distortion. Smoother than a Distortion but still had the bright tight attack. It also split well, like a Custom. Very Fendery when split. In my mahogany LP and SG, the Black Winter sounded very flat, clean and sterile, almost like an active pickup. In the Jackson, it had more character, almost sounded like a different pickup.

Comment

Get an Alternative 8. If you want to get fancy, wire the volume with a push/pull for series/parallel. If you want to get fancier, put the Alt 8 in a Triple shot ring.
                        If you want to go over the top, add a push/pull to the Volume, along with the Triple Shot, to give you phase switching in the pickup.

Comment

I'd say Custom first, then 2nd a Distortion

Comment

I say the Duncan Designed HB103B - save some money.

Wound like a Distortion, but with a regular ceramic magnet like a Custom. Not overly compressed like the Distortion.

I have all three in loaded guitars, and like the HB103B the best, but it could be a lot of other factors as the builds are quite different even though they are all Jackson/Charvels.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              I say the Duncan Designed HB103B - save some money.

Wound like a Distortion, but with a regular ceramic magnet like a Custom. Not overly compressed like the Distortion.

I have all three in loaded guitars, and like the HB103B the best, but it could be a lot of other factors as the builds are quite different even though they are all Jackson/Charvels.

I thought about it too but then I recalled I sold it back in 2017.

Comment

Working...
                              X