Another Seth Lover!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Seth Lover!

Ordered my 3rd Seth Lover pickup. 4th Seymour Duncan in total. First was a 59 bridge. Next 2 were Seth Lover neck pickups. #1 is matched to the 59 bridge. #2 is currently paired with the stock no-name bridge pickup. That will be replaced with the Seth Lover bridge pickup I ordered from AMS last week. It should have been here by now but this weeks weather pushed delivery back until Monday, it appears.

Can't wait for it to get it here . I've also got a set of CDE orange drop 0.015uf caps to install at the same time. Currently, it has two 0.033uf caps in series on the neck as a test and see if 0.015uf was what it needed instead of the 0.022uf cap it had. And that's what it needed. So those will get replaced as well as the stock 0.047uf cap on the bridge pickup when I install the Seth. The neck initially had an 0.047uf cap, also but I swapped it, first with an 0.022uf and then with the 33s in series.

All polypropylene film caps. The CDE orange drops are 715P's and the 33's are essentially 715p orange drops but they're red instead of orange. Same polypropylene film construction. Looking forward to comparing the Seth bridge to the 59 in the other guitar. I almost ordered an Antiquity bridge pickup but went ahead and got a Seth. Might try Antiquities next time. I seem to like the Seth's over those in all of the tone comparisons I've heard, though. So I'll have to do more research before buying next time.

​​​​​No real questions or anything. Just stoked to get this pickup. Thanks for letting me share

Edited:

OK so I do have 1 question. I read somewherw that when these were made originally, Seth got a little money from each pickup sold. Is that still the case? Does his family still get money from each pickup sold? Thanks!
    ​​
    Last edited by Wound_Up; 01-21-2024, 12:07 AM.
    JC
    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

A Seth set is one of my favorite combos. Smooth, slightly honky, touch-sensitive, and really allows everything a player does (good and bad) to come through.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
      Edited:

OK so I do have 1 question. I read somewherw that when these were made originally, Seth got a little money from each pickup sold. Is that still the case? Does his family still get money from each pickup sold? Thanks!
      ​​
      I think you would have to call Duncan and ask directly. Depends on how the contract/license terms were settled. The original runs were hand-signed, now they stamp the signatures. Don't know if commission payments coincided with any changes like that, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        A Seth set is one of my favorite combos. Smooth, slightly honky, touch-sensitive, and really allows everything a player does (good and bad) to come through.
        I'm really glad I went with that first neck pickup. I went back and forth over them being unpotted but Seth's won out in the end. Couldn't be happier with my choice. I'm really curious to see how it sounds vs the 59. Both have very similar spec'd pots and same caps/values.

The neck pickups in both guitars couldn't be any more similar. Which is what I was going for because it sounded great in #1 so I wanted that type of sound for #2, also. With the 0.015uf caps, these Seth's really standout vs what they sound like with 0.022uf caps. After I put that neck pickup in #2, it was obvious it was missing the "bite" that guitar 1 had so I checked the caps on #1 and found they were the 0.015uf caps and not 22s like I thought.

Surprisingly, I could hear a difference between pickups with different caps and tone on 10. As I posted above, the guitar with 0.015uf caps had more bite than the guitar with 0.022uf's. That's not something I was expecting to hear. When I got it installed and tested it vs #1, it was obvious it was missing something. #2 was more subdued, it seemed. So I changed that cap and it woke it right up. All with the tone on 10 on both. Until that point, I assumed you couldn't really hear a difference between caps on 10. That doesn't seem to be the case, though.
        JC
        -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
        -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.

Comment

Finally came in today. Got it installed in about 5 mins but it was already too late to really test it out so that'll be tomorrow. It sounds great so far. I doubt that will change with a volume increase. No installed pics. Sorry! Check out that thick maple cap! NICE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240122_073430.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	6267853

Name:	20240122_073523.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	6267854

Name:	20240122_180811.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	6267855
          JC

Comment

I ordered my Seths from the CS, because I wanted custom covers and 4 conductor wiring. I originally asked for them to be potted, but MJ called me and explained that they couldn't pot them and have the cover fit on them. I believed her and I am happy they are unpotted.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I ordered my Seths from the CS, because I wanted custom covers and 4 conductor wiring. I originally asked for them to be potted, but MJ called me and explained that they couldn't pot them and have the cover fit on them. I believed her and I am happy they are unpotted.

Being unpotted was the single thing that made me pause before buying the first one. But I told myself that if the originals weren't potted and people could handle those, I should be able to handle these. Sure enough, the feedback isn't nearly what I expected. Easily controllable. I've now got a full set in the guitar above and a Seth neck & 59 bridge in another. I prefer the Seth bridge pickup over the 59. There's a difference between the 2 that I can't pinpoint but whatever it is, it makes the Seth sound that much better.

JC

Comment

Working...
              X