banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dull sounding Gibson SG Junior - where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dull sounding Gibson SG Junior - where to start?

I have a 2019 Gibson SG junior that plays great and rings acoustically, but plugged in, it sound like the tone control is rolled down about 3/4 the way.
    im getting the meter out to check if it really Has 500k pots and good solder joints. Any other ideas? Could the pickup magnets not be magnetized to full strength?

My experience is guitars that are bright acoustically are dark when plugged in and guitars that are dark or dull acoustically have a full range when plugged in electrically. The nuance is sustain will be the same, but the tone can be the opposite. My only guess why that might be is what you hear acoustically is the vibrations that were lost into the body and neck that don't get picked up by the electronics. Changing bridge and tuner hardware sometimes can help. Anything that keeps all the vibration in the strings.

Comment

My experience is that if they sound good acoustically, I should be able to get it to sound good electrically.

Comment

I really don't care how an Electric sounds acoustically. I don't use it that way.

Comment

If it matters, the magnetic pull from the pole piece to a screwdriver is much weaker than other P-90s I have.

Comment

Pickup measures 6.4k in the circuit and the volume pot seems to be 480k using the six strings supplies method.

Comment

I could be just a dark sounding pickup. A dark sounding pickup is a good candidate for change if everything is working correctly (and amp tone controls can't compensate). Check out some of the P90s available.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wire the pickup to the jack to check it before you buy anything.
                Take it to the limit
                Everybody to the limit
                Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

The simplest thing to try would be height adjustment and use of the EQ on guitar and amp.
                  If it sounds dark, even at 6.4k, it's probably not a problem with the pup. A 6.4k P-90 should be bright as heck!
                  Lower the pup and raise the poles to compensate for the lower height. Your guitar tone pot should be fine. Turn up your treble on your amp and/or turn down the bass.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah. That P-90 should be bright. That's vintage wind territory. What does the tone pot measure? And what is the tone cap value? I like a 500K volume, 250K tone w/ .022uf cap, wired 50's style (tone pot connected to the center lug of the volume pot).

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      wired 50's style (tone pot connected to the center lug of the volume pot).
                      Not necessarily to the "center" lug. Only if the pup hot wire is connected to the left lug and the output jack is connected to the center lug.

If tone pot is connected to the same lug on the vol pot (either left or center) as the hot lead from the pup, then it's "modern" tone. If tone pot is connected to the same lug on the vol pot as the lead going to the output jack, then it's "Vintage or 50s" tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Not necessarily to the "center" lug. Only if the pup hot wire is connected to the left lug and the output jack is connected to the center lug.

If tone pot is connected to the same lug on the vol pot (either left or center) as the hot lead from the pup, then it's "modern" tone. If tone pot is connected to the same lug on the vol pot as the lead going to the output jack, then it's "Vintage or 50s" tone.
                        Yes. In a two pickup guitar where the volumes are wired "independent", then pickup hot goes to center and the output jack (via the toggle switch) goes to the outside non-ground lug (left).

In the OP's single pickup guitar, stock wiring will be the pickup hot to the left lug and the output jack on the middle lug. The tone will be connected to the left lug as well.

Comment

Measure the 500k pots, don't trust the number written on them. There can be a wide variance . . . I've found some that are as low as 400k and some up at 600. Higher measured values will sound sharper and lower values duller.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Yes. In a two pickup guitar where the volumes are wired "independent", then pickup hot goes to center and the output jack (via the toggle switch) goes to the outside non-ground lug (left).

In the OP's single pickup guitar, stock wiring will be the pickup hot to the left lug and the output jack on the middle lug. The tone will be connected to the left lug as well.
                            That IS correct if his guitar was "stock wired" (which IS a logical assumption to make). But that info was not actually given so I just gave all the parameters, to cover the bases.

Comment

I agree the pickup height could be the culprit

If its too low it will be weak and dark

If its too high it will deaden the strings
                              And choke the notes

I dont know what pickups you have
                              Dog ear pickups are notorious for needing shims under them

Thats why they make shims for them

They are probably just too low
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X