2 P90s, 2 Volume, Neck PU Tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 P90s, 2 Volume, Neck PU Tone.

I plan on adding a second volume to a Noventa Strat, and have the tone only on the neck.

Neck P90 would have a volume and tone, and the Bridge P90 would have a volume, no tone. I am a little unsure how to wire up the tone here

I have 2 different wiring diagrams I have been looking at, if I exclude the wire section in green would I get the results I am after?

Thanks,

.Click image for larger version

Name:	strat_wiring_-_inline_switch1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6267683

Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Pickups 2 Vol 1 Tone v2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	6267684

Originally posted by PearlJamaholic View Post
    I plan on adding a second volume to a Noventa Strat, and have the tone only on the neck.

Neck P90 would have a volume and tone, and the Bridge P90 would have a volume, no tone. I am a little unsure how to wire up the tone here

I have 2 different wiring diagrams I have been looking at, if I exclude the wire section in green would I get the results I am after?

Thanks,

.Click image for larger version

Name:	strat_wiring_-_inline_switch1.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	6267683
    No, because the pickup without a tone wouldn't have a path to the output jack.

Comment

Neither of those diagrams will give you what you want.
      Run the bridge pup hot to a vol pot then to the switch. Run the neck pup to the other vol pot and in parallel to the tone pot, then to the switch. Output from the switch to the output jack.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Alright thanks. The pickguard I ordered to add the new volume doesn't line up so I have a few more days to try to get the wiring right. I think I understand what is being explained, so I'll try that out.

Comment

Ok, I've been trying to understand what I am trying to do, and trying to grasp the explanation given on how to wire this but I don't think I have it. I drew up how the guitar was wired stock. I think I have it all drawn up right.

Name:	image.png
Views:	142
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	6271960

This is what I came up with, but I don't fully understand how toggle switches work, and it just seems I am missing something. I looked at a bunch of diagrams and just altered the original just a bit, but I don't know. I think I have the ground circuit right, but wouldn't even bet with Bezo's money on it. Am I at least close?

Views:	148
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	6271961

Comment

Well that first diagram is a no go.
            In the second diagram you don't have anything in position 2. On the top half of the switch you need a jumper from 1 to 2, and on the lower half you need to add a jumper from 2 to 3. That will give you bridge plus neck in position 2.
            Also, you've got the jack labeled "Tip -". That should be labeled "barrel -" (the other lug is the Tip which is "+").

Comment

Almost had it, the tone knob is effecting both pickups. Is this avoidable? The only thing I can think would be the reason, is having the jumpers for the middle position to work, that it carries the tone knob to both pickups?

Views:	124
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	6272681 zz0.8e1o2t2abhuzz

Comment

The hot of the pickups should go to the volume controls. The output of the volume controls should go to the switch. The output of the switch should go to the output jack.

I'm not on my "graphics" computer, or I could mod your diagram.

Comment

I don't think it should matter whether the bridge pup goes first to the vol control and then to the switch or to the switch then to the vol. But the neck pup should go to its vol + tone control then to the switch.

Comment

I think it's time to take it to a professional. I don't know what I am doing, and I'm not quite picking this up. I left the bridge wiring alone, and ran the neck to the volume/tone then to the switch, and that actually worked, the tone knob did not effect the bridge pick up, but then the middle switch only had the neck pickup, and the volume for the bridge stopped working. So I tried wiring the bridge to the volume then to the switch and that made no difference.

I keep missing some important piece, I didn't think this would be such a difficult wiring idea.

Views:	113
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	6272787

Comment

Your diagram looks good.
                      If it's not working correctly you haven't followed the diagram. Check your wiring to make sure there are no accidental shorts, especially at the switch. All it takes is one tiny single strand of wire touching the wrong lug or another wire to mess it up.
                      (Again, your jack is labeled incorrectly. The lug connected to the ground is NOT the "tip". It is indeed the "-", but it is actually the "barrel").

Comment

The jack image is something I found, not sure how to edit it. I'll take another look after work today and see if everything is actually wired as drawn. For the bridge pot wiring the center lug is not connected to the outside one, that is just sloppy drawing.

Comment

Originally posted by PearlJamaholic View Post
                          The jack image is something I found, not sure how to edit it.
                          That's fine as long as you're aware of what that lug actually is. Just don't get cdonfused.

QUOTE=PearlJamaholic;n6273111] I'll take another look after work today and see if everything is actually wired as drawn.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because there has to be something wrong with what you actually did. Either an incorrect connection, a missing connection, or a short somewhere. Like I said, the most likely place for this is at the switch because there are so many lugs very close to each other.

QUOTE=PearlJamaholic;n6273111]For the bridge pot wiring the center lug is not connected to the outside one, that is just sloppy drawing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured that. Also the same with the middle lug of the tone control...that shouldn't be connected to the ground wire, just the cap.

Good luck getting it fixed.

Comment

Rookie mistake, I didn't have the bridge's volume 3rd lug soldered to the case.... oops.

Still isn't quite what I was looking for, the tone effects both pickups in the middle position (but no effect in the bridge selection), and either volume determines the max volume of both pickups in the middle position. If I have any/either volume rolled back, when I switch to the middle position then both pickups will drop to the volume to the lowest volume pot. I can't have the bridge at 100% and the neck at 70%, both will be at 70% in the middle position.

I was trying to get something like the danelectro '59 without having stacked pots. Those guitars you can blend in one pickup to the other when in the middle position. Gets some cool tones cause you can muffle up the neck pickup and just barely make it audible under the bridge, can have a low muffled tone underneath, sounds great with fuzz.

But this might not even be possible with the Noventa pickups, they have 2 wires, and the danelectro lipstick pickups seem to have 3.

Maybe I was trying to do something that isn't possible with the existing hardware in the Noventa strats, and if I have to swap out all the existing hardware for new, I might as well just go 100% partcaster.

I'll play the guitar as is, and maybe revisit this project at another time. Been without the guitar for quite a few weeks, time to play it for a little bit for now.

Anyways, thanks for all the help on my crazy little project.

Comment

Working...
                            X