banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I raise the pot value on a Duncan Distortion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I raise the pot value on a Duncan Distortion...

Would I get more high mid bite?

As far as I understand, raising the pot value loads the pickup less, and thus, increases the height of the resonant peak?

Or does it raise the resonant frequency higher up the spectrum? Or does it affect the Q factor?

What I want to accomplish is my Fender Strat is not like super dark, but it is dark-ish. My Les Paul is very mid-forward, and it has a Graphtech Resomax bridge which they claim has a spike in the 2K region. The bridge pickup is also around 4 or 5mm closer to the bridge itself. Added to that, it has a Gibson 500T in the bridge and a single 500K pot. I know most people would think that would sound super harsh, but I LOVE it.

I just want to give my Strat a little more of that bite the Les Paul has.

From what I can tell, going from 500k to 1meg opens up the highs, not any portion of the mids. 500k already lets through all the mids. It's still useful tho.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-31-2024, 11:21 PM.

Comment

it will enhance the peak and the surrounds of the resonance frequency

Comment

the SH-6b has a resonance peak at about 5.5kHz.
        because of your cable it will be lower. with 600pF parasitic cable capacitance it will drift down in the 2 KHZ region (you could additional add a small parallel cap yourself if you want to force it lower) .
        The resonance peak will be more spikey or damped depending on your pot values (with 500k vol + 500k tone + 1 Meg amp input it's pretty flat).
        Since the resonance is quite brought with such a high output PU, frequencies at 2kHz will also be boosted even if the resoncance peak is not shifted down with your cable already.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
          the SH-6b has a resonance peak at about 5.5kHz.
          because of your cable it will be lower. with 600pF parasitic cable capacitance it will drift down in the 2 KHZ region (you could additional add a small parallel cap yourself if you want to force it lower) .
          The resonance peak will be more spikey or damped depending on your pot values (with 500k vol + 500k tone + 1 Meg amp input it's pretty flat).
          Since the resonance is quite brought with such a high output PU, frequencies at 2kHz will also be boosted even if the resoncance peak is not shifted down with your cable already.
          OK... so in other words, yes, it will do what I want, right?

Comment

To put it simply, a Duncan Distortion with a 1Meg volume pot and nothing else will slice your face off.....LOL.

Comment

it will sound brighter with a 1M pot than a 500k pot, its a noticeable difference but not night and day

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                To put it simply, a Duncan Distortion with a 1Meg volume pot and nothing else will slice your face off.....LOL.
                I kinda want that, LOL.

I kinda feel like right now, it's not slicing my face off enough compared to the 500T in my Gibbo.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-01-2024, 02:28 PM.

Comment

2 meg

Comment

I didn't know there were 2 meg pots available for guitars. I can't really imagine that you could hear a difference between 1 meg and 2 meg.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Dimebucker is great in a darker sounding guitar,,,,,,, but the 1meg mod is sure cheaper.

Comment

Well, I've got the 1 Meg on the way.

I saw this video:

Comment

Working...
                        X