EVH Frankenstein "Plus" and "Classic"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH Frankenstein "Plus" and "Classic"

I just stumbled on these and hadn't heard of them before, they appear to be made by Seymour Duncan (?) like the original Frankie pickup but in 17.32K and 8.2K respectively, both using Alnico 2 magnet. When MJ did the Tone Talk show with Dave Friedman and Mark Huzansky she talked about having worked with Eddie on a new set of pickups that would be released in the future (at the time). Are these the pickups? Anyone out there had an opportunity to try them? The plus looks like an RTM on paper, I'm curious, however, they are expensive at $219!
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

custom shop pups are expensive. but not compared to throbak or others of that ilk who charge $350+ for a single pup

Comment

Those are EVH brand pickups. Are they wound by Seymour Duncan or Fender? I bring it up because Fender makes the Wolfgang pickups. The gallery pic of the bottom plate on the evhgear site certainly looks SD but there's no SD stamp.

These are different than the SD Custom Shop Frankenstein pickup.

Comment

Fender makes the Wolfgang pickup set however the EVH branded Frankenstein pup is made by Seymour, has this same unstamped back plate and sticker reading SH EVH, these two new variations read the same, the website describes the Plus as a higher output version of the Frankenstein pickup at 17.32k and says the "Classic" at 8.20k has 5,150 winds or turns I guess? Both say designed by Ed. I just remember MJ talking a little bit about some new things coming from SD and Eddie without saying too much she said they have worked on a new set of pickups to be released soon (this Tone Talk episode was last year), and to stay tuned...btw it's a great episode if you haven't seen it! Edit, the MJ episode of Tone Talk was actually from 5 years ago, I just watched it last year!
        Last edited by soulforger; 02-01-2024, 01:33 PM.
        Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)

Comment

The EVH company is a branch of Fender
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

could be like a hotter JB with an A2 ?

Comment

Sounds like the Plus might simulate what is in Frankie now, and Classic simulates what was in it when it was black and white.

Comment

The Plus sounds right up my alley, I was just kinda surprised there wasn't really any marketing push on these upon release, usually if gear companies release something new they let you know haha!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Sounds like the Plus might simulate what is in Frankie now, and Classic simulates what was in it when it was black and white.
                  The Plus is wound to over 17K. What is in the Frankenstrat now is 14.4K, A2 magnet. About as close to a Custom Custom you can get. That's what the EVH Frankenstein pickup is. These two seem like something completely different that have never been seen before.

Comment

Working...
                  X