Full size SHR-1B hot rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full size SHR-1B hot rails

Hello All! 1st post here! I have found a full size Hot Rails humbucker. It has 2 blade single coils with a metal open style cover. It has a ceramic magnet and the DCR of 17.? K It was made in the Duncan custom shop.Has anyone tried one of these? Does it scream? I like high OP clear pickups like the dimebucker, and the ALT8. Will I like this pup? Or will it sound exactly like a small hot rails? Thanks in advance. Please move, modify, if I posted in the wrong area???

Welcome to the forum!

Can we see a pic of this? Hot Rails are more mid focused, and I would never define them as clear. They are best used in a 1 guitar band where they cut through with their volume, not their frequency. So I would say it is the opposite of a Dimebucker.

But here is the thing...if it is from the Custom Shop, it could have been wound to sound like anything, so it might not even sound like a regular Hot Rails. Go ahead and try it, and report back (and post a few pics).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would say the Hot Rails kinda has the low-end rolloff of the Black Winter and the top-end rolloff of the Invader.

Comment

The style you're describing, and the DCR, make it sound like a Dimebucker. But since you seem to have some experience with a Dimebucker, you'd be sure to recognize if this was one.

Offhand, I'd say a full-size pup wouldn't sound like it's smaller counterpart, but since you have it, install it and tell us how she sounds.

Comment

But a mid sounding pickup is loud to the human ear when compared to a pickup with a “smile” eq. I’ve always had the idea that blade style HBs have a “clarity”. Granted the Slug is not a good example of this but it even has some clarity to it. Thanks for the replies. I’ll try to post pics later.

Comment

Originally posted by Hexenkettle View Post
            But a mid sounding pickup is loud to the human ear when compared to a pickup with a “smile” eq. I’ve always had the idea that blade style HBs have a “clarity”. Granted the Slug is not a good example of this but it even has some clarity to it. Thanks for the replies. I’ll try to post pics later.
            There's a lot of things you can do with blade humbuckers. Don't overgeneralize. That would be like saying all screw/slug pickups sound a certain way, when a Custom 5 couldn't be more different from a JB, for example.

I say that because when I first tried the X2N, I was, like you, expecting it to sound bright and cutting, when it must have been one of the darkest/bassiest pickups I've tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              They are best used in a 1 guitar band where they cut through with their volume, not their frequency.
              (dave murray has entered the chat)

Comment

Here it is. I have a few guitars left over so I’m hoping to install this pup soon and I’ll let you know how it sounds!!

Comment

I'd think I could make a hot rails HB just by winding a hot rails to 8.5k and wiring two in series...I know it isn't that easy, but still.

I guess I'd say a Hot Rails, compared to a JB, Distortion, Custom, and Invader, is closest to an Invader in terms of sound. But it definitely has a different mojo than any of those.
                  Last edited by Aceman; 02-02-2024, 11:02 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Does it say that the model is S/HRB?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yes. In the second photo you can see it has a sticker in orange printed SHR1B.

Comment

That's an interesting beast. The only thing I could say about how it will sound is that it WON'T sound like the single coil-size Hot Rails. If you like "high output and clear" you may need to wire that in parallel. Yes, if you wire it parallel it will be roughly 1/4 the DCR, but since the resistance isn't the power, it will still sound powerful and loud. But it will also sound much clearer.

But hey, try it and see.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                        X