Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat-sized humbucker similar to a custom custom

Hello All,
    Sorry if this is a redundant post; I did search for this topic but no hits.

I just bought a Charvel PRO-MOD DK22 SSS, which is replacing a super strat I had that was stolen, and I would like to swap out the Hot Rails in the bridge with something similar to a Custom Custom.

I just love alnico vs ceramic. And alnico 2 for me is the best!

The stolen strat was a heavily modified Jackson PC3, basically the only thing original was the body, lol.

I put Alnico Pro II Flats in the neck and mid, and a Trembucker Custom Custom in the bridge. It was a mahogany body with a very thin flamed maple top.

That pickup combo sounded great for being in such a cheap guitar.

The Charvel is pretty close, wood type and style wise, so I snagged it.

Its a much better guitar "out-of-the-box" than the Jackson was, lol.

I'll eventually swap out the SSL 6's, Neck and Mid, with the Alnico Pro II Flats, but I'm taking one step at a time and the SSL 6's are not bad, just a bit bright for my liking.

Miss the smoothness of the Alnico 2 mags.

I listened to the sound bites and to my ear, using earbuds and on my computer, the lil' 78 seems to sound closest to the Custom Custom. The JB is a close 2nd, but is a bit too bright.

The lil' 59 does not get the punch I'm looking for when using distortion.

Using a MB VII and MB MKV:35

My budget does not allow for a custom shop request, so I'm sticking to whatever is closest sounding off-the-shelf.

Any input or insights about the lil'78 and the Custom Custom trembucker comparison?

Thanks for reading and any thoughts!

Peace

As far as a single coil size I would definitely look at the Dimarzio Air Norton S. Have you considered routering the body to accept a Custom Custom? I love those guitars but I thought the SSS config. was an odd decision by Charvel.
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Yeah, Air Norton S is what first came to mind. Maybe even Tone Zone S.

Comment

You might look at the neck Hot Rails to put in the bridge. It has a lot of mids like the CC, but isn't as thick as the bridge Hot Rails.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Kool! Thanks to all for the suggestions! Will do some reading up. I had thought about routing for a regular size humbucker, but I just got the guitar and money is tight, and I really don't want to do such a drastic mod just yet. I'll do some pickup swapping first and if I'm not really happy with any of the results, then I'll probably will go the rout route, lol! Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll post when I've made some changes.

Peace

Comment

Working...
          X