How to tame OOP blade switch setting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tame OOP blade switch setting?

Now that I've played my new SD Quarter Pounder Tele pickups with the 5-way Super Switch, one of the settings, the neck & bridge out of phase, is too extreme. Can someone tell me how to tame it? Maybe a capacitor somewhere? I know there's a 4-way diagram that has a half out of phase (HOOP) setting, but I don't understand the wiring enough to know how to emulate it. Help anyone? See attached images for how I have the wiring now (position 2 is the extreme OOP) and 3 samples with HOOP (two are the same but one is drawn more clearly).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thornev; 02-03-2024, 09:15 PM.
    Please read my posts online. I have a habit of editing my posts minutes after they're posted.

Here's how Bill Lawrence did it.
    The Bill Lawrence half-out-of-phase Telecaster mod is an interesting take on the classic Telecaster wiring, adding to the already highly useful 3 positions by

But I don't know how to translate that switch's wiring to my Super Switch. Surely somebody here can help...please?

UPDATE: It looks like one cap goes between the common lugs for neck negative and opposite side of switch's common. And then I guess the other cap goes between a tone pot lug and its ground. That's easy if that's how I would do it on a Super Switch. Can someone verify?
    Last edited by thornev; 02-04-2024, 10:18 AM.
    Please read my posts online. I have a habit of editing my posts minutes after they're posted.

Comment

Looks like it's just a 0.01uF cap to ground on the neck hot lug that is the out of phase positive. Someone else will have to check me on that.

Comment

beaubrummels Neck hot or negative?

Comment

After much studying, I think I get it now. What confused me is that 2 different 5-way switches have their lug numbering completely opposite. The StewMac 5-way I purchased has the lugs numbered 5 to 1 ("Baby!") when the switch is stood upright. But a Fender 5-way has the lugs numbered 1 to 5 with the switch in the same position. Regardless, when the switch is in position 5, the number 5 lugs on all poles is active; with the switch in position 4, all number 4 lugs on all poles is active, et cetera. So now when I see the wiring on a switch, and lugs are soldered together, when the switch is in the positions where the lugs are soldered, whichever pickups are connected to those lugs, the pickups become activated.

And now I understand that getting a 180 degree OOP effect is established by switching the positive and negative leads on one of two pickups. And to get a HOOP effect, which is a 90 degree phase difference, a capacitor would be required - where, I'm still unsure, but I'll figure it out. I've seen a resistor added into the circuit which is another addition about which I want to understand. Resistors affect voltage so it probably has something to do with amplitude of the effect. Feel free to comment to augment my education.

Comment

Working...
          X