Pickups for progressive/math metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for progressive/math metal

I'm new to this forum, and an almost intermediate guitar player. I'm looking for which bridge pickup to buy to match how I play and what I want to play.

I'm looking for something that will maintain clear treble with highish gains, but another thing is that I nearly exclusively pick with my thumb, index and middle finger instead of a pick. My inspirations are stuff like chiodos, the fall of troy, saosin, stuff like that

I was looking at the Seymour Duncan website, but it's hard to tell which pickup to get when listening to those blues rock / country sound samples when I'm going for something completely different.

the guitar is a mini humbucker neck/ humbucker bridge telecaster that I believe requires a trembucker (2 1/8 inch spacing)

This is my first post here so if I screwed anything up please let me know but also please be nice about it.

Welcome to the forum!

I might start by looking at the Nazgul or The Pegasus. Both are articulate and great at high levels of gain.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

+1 on the Pegasus or Nazgul and Sentient, also either of the Mark Holcomb sets should be right up your alley, Mark did a great video on YouTube recently comparing the two sets.
      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

My vote would be for the Mark Holcomb Alpha Omega set. If you are tuning down that set is excellent! One of my favs from the Duncan line. Duncan distortion is classic and I think you could get some good tones from that as well. I haven’t tried a Pegasus or Nazgul.

Comment

What is "math metal"?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            What is "math metal"?
            Crazy odd meter time signature stuff that can sound like 2 or 3 songs at the same time. But there is some really good stuff. I was just listening to a band called The Dillinger Escape Plan and this was is a comment down below and it cracked me up.

“ metal comes in many different forms, Black Metal, Super Black Metal, Progressive Vegetarian Scandinavian Grindcore,”

Comment

Originally posted by strat dude View Post

Crazy odd meter time signature stuff that can sound like 2 or 3 songs at the same time. But there is some really good stuff. I was just listening to a band called The Dillinger Escape Plan and this was is a comment down below and it cracked me up.

“ metal comes in many different forms, Black Metal, Super Black Metal, Progressive Vegetarian Scandinavian Grindcore,”
              Don't forget Post- Progressive Vegetarian Scandinavian Grindcore

Comment

What is "bath metal"?

On a more serious note, I don't think Saosin or Chiodos play Metal at all? Never heard The Fall of Troy.

But yeah, to contribute to the thread, I would look at the Full Shred too, as that's what Mikael Akerfeldt plays... or played before his balls dropped off, LOL.

Honestly, plain old JB might just pull it off just fine too.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-06-2024, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Don't forget Post- Progressive Vegetarian Scandinavian Grindcore
                  lol my bad

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

On a more serious note, I don't think Saosin or Chiodos play Metal at all? Never heard The Fall of Troy.

But yeah, to contribute to the thread, I would look at the Full Shred too, as that's what Mikael Akerfeldt plays... or played before his balls dropped off, LOL.

Honestly, plain old JB might just pull it off just fine too.
                    Yeah I guess chiodos are more emo/punk, but the same general vibe. The best fall of troy songs to listen to are f.c.p.r.e.m.i.x and mouths like sidewinder missiles.

Really I meant math-rock, but lately that's become synonymous with Midwest emo which is a bit more chill than what I'm going for.

Thank you for the suggestions everybody!

Comment

What Rex said, the full shred. Especially since you could use the extra treble while using your thumb and finger instead of a pick.
                      Maybe the Dimebucker could work well too, or even the Jupiter.

Comment

Originally posted by strat dude View Post

That’s from Fat Ed’s Furry Fkn Guide to Metal!

The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

It's getting ridiculous when you invent a genre name/type for every song.

It used to be just "rock". Then soft rock and hard rock. Then surf was added. Then metal. Etc.
                          Now there are 352,587 types of metal!

I think it's because musicians tend to be very egotistical and want to feel that they have invented something new.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's getting ridiculous when you invent a genre name/type for every song.

It used to be just "rock". Then soft rock and hard rock. Then surf was added. Then metal. Etc.
                            Now there are 352,587 types of metal!

I think it's because musicians tend to be very egotistical and want to feel that they have invented something new.
                            The main reason for the proliferation of genre names is easily and understandably missed (in my view) by a lot of frustrated/annoyed people who aren't part of the churn. Most of it's coming from dedicated fans who are trying to figure out how to communicate about nuances in what they're hearing. If you don't spend time marinating in the deluge of new metal output - not that you have any reason to - those nuances won't be accessible to you and the whole conversation is gobbledeygook. And even if you do get into all of it it's easy to disagree about how to describe what you're hearing, because it's all based on subjective individual perceptions about the elements of a band's sound, how closely you think they relate to other more or less similar bands, and how you'd try to convey that. Even agreement about genre touchstones shifts over time. And then of course people inevitably get gatekeepy and pedantic about it and argue over the fine points, and that's easy to lampoon, and then some bands will either form to intentionally play some very hyper-specific style or just come up with a goofy name to describe what they do as a marketing gimmick. There is a strain of extreme individualism in metal, which to me is in tension with the massive amount of new music that just totally colors inside the lines and never deviates from preexisting convention, but by and large the genre-naming phenomenon isn't about bands trying to plant a flag on "new" territory, it's just a way of describing a sound.
                            Take it to the limit
                            Everybody to the limit
                            Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I glazed over, but if you hold the phone away from you a little I think you can see Nixon face in his post. The word gobbledygook stands out quite a bit too.

Comment

Working...
                              X