Two pickups sharing coil split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two pickups sharing coil split

I'm pretty sure I can't do this, but just to double check... If I take the red and white wires from two different pickups (4 wire humbuckers, SD wiring colours), can I run them both to the exact same switch terminal to switch them to ground to coil split them?

I'm pretty sure I can't because it will make the different coils interact in some way, right? Like, I won't be able to just play with the bridge pickup, or the neck pickup. Is my logic right? I'm rewiring a guitar and just want to get it up and running, but don't have push pull pots right now, so I'm trying to cut corners a little.

Depends on the switch, but you can absolutely do this. Check out this diagram on how to do it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3G_2VppSPLB.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	6269940
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

And now, what if you put both sets of white and red wires on the same switch terminal? So an SPDT switch instead of DPDT? I'm using a no-load pot, and only have a regular pot, not dual.

Comment

Just in a practical sense, wiring four wires to a single pin is a good way to screw something up if you aren't the best at soldering.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

No that won't work because you'll have one pickup's red and white wires feeding into the other pup through its red and white wires. Kinda like having the selector switch permanently in middle position. You have to keep them separate as Mincer showed.
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-10-2024, 08:42 AM.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            No that won't work because you'll have one pickup's red and white wires feeding into the other pup through its red and white wires. Kinda like haveing the You have to keep them separate as Mincer showed.
            Thank you GuitarDoc! I'll keep them separate, and I'll have to buy some more parts.

Comment

Yeah, the correct parts are not too expensive, but will save you lots of time and money and headache in the end.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Let us know how this project turns out!
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It makes every position middle position if you don't separate them.

Comment

Working...
                  X