Triple-shots in series or parallel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple-shots in series or parallel?

Hi there! I have an LP knock-off with 2 P-rails being controlled by tripleshots. I'm thinking about getting even sillier, and setting up some sort of switching so that, when combined, the outputs of the Triple-shots can either be in parallel or in series, but I'm not sure whether that can be done with a push/pull in the main control compartment, or if it needs to happen at the selector switch, with something like one of the 6-way Freeway switches. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Push pull should work

I have this option on a blade switch with my RG2
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

As long as you use a 3-way toggle switch you can't get the two pups in series, the 3-way will always put them in parallel. You'd at least need a 4 position Oak Grigsby blade switch. I'm not very familiar with the freeway switch but I'm guessing that it would do it too.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	84
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	6270125 zz0.4uso5blledbzz

Here's how you'd do it with a freeway. Assume that the red and black wires are the wires coming from each Triple Shot.

Comment

That's perfect, Doc! I was trying to think of the Triple-shot outputs as effectively a single coil output, just wasn't sharp enough to look at the single coil Freeway diagrams. I kept trying to get my head around how I could get their Humbucker diagrams to work for me. Thanks for the extra eyes and brain cells!

Comment

Out of curiosity, can I ask where you found that diagram? On Freeway's website, I can only find HB diagrams for that switch, and all of the single-coils are in the blade type diagrams...

Comment

Never mind, I just found it, thanks!

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Well, I finally got around to installing the Freeway switch, and it works great! A whole new range of tones, now that I can take any combination of coils in the neck and bridge P-rails, and run them either in parallel or in series with each other... Lots o' fun!

Comment

Sounds like you got a good thing going with that Free-Way switch. I haven't used a free-way, but I have to think it's much easier to make on-the-fly changes than a push/pull.

However, for future reference, you certainly can wire up a push/pull to put both humbuckers in series with each other. The push/pull would override the 3-way toggle. For example, with the push/pull down you'd have typical LP 3-way switching. The push/pull in the up position would give you both in series, regardless of the position of the toggle switch.

The switching is easy. Getting the volume and tone circuits to behave the way you want can be tricky.

Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                    X