Middle recommendations for a custom HSH guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle recommendations for a custom HSH guitar

I am going to build a custom guitar from Warmoth with a WGD Body (Jerry Garcia Tiger shape). I’m thinking Swamp Ash body, Quilted Maple top, Maple neck, Ebony fingerboard and 24 frets. I’m looking for versatility with this thing as I play lots of styles (D. Allman, Gilmour, Andy Summers, Hendrix, Garcia, R.E.M., Phish, J. Page…no metal or country for the most part).

I’m leaning towards a Hot Rodded Humbucker Set:
    Jazz Model Humbucker SH-2 (Neck)
    JB Model SH-4, TB-4 (Bridge)

For the Middle position I’m thinking I want to go noiseless. These are the two I’m looking at:

Vintage Hot Stack Plus
    Custom Stack Plus (STK-S6)

What would be the best single coil neck pickup to go with the Hot Rodded Humbuckers for balance and versatility?

Thing is, as you go up in power for the middle pickup, the less it sounds like a traditional single coil. It also starts to sound darker. The JB and Jazz are pretty bright sounding pickups, and I am thinking that both of your choices might be too hot to get a good single coil-ish sound, and also not bright enough. Maybe something like a Classic Stack?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That makes sense. I was thinking more output on the single coil would be better to pair with the humbucker which was why I was looking at those two. I’ll check out the samples on the Classic Stack. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Classic Stack
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Classic Stack
          The samples sound pretty great on this pup. Although, I’ve never had a noiseless single coil before. What would be a good, balanced option for a regular single coil to go between the Jazz(N) and JB(B) in case I don’t want to go noiseless? I definitely prefer alnico 5s.

Comment

The Classic Stack is a fantastic pickup. But if you want to go for a traditional single, you have the same issue- as you go more powerful, the less traditional it sounds. So you can either go for a powerful single coil (like an SSL-6) to balance in volume with the humbuckers, or a single coil that actually sounds like a traditional Strat pickup (SSL-2) but is lower volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              …So you can either go for a powerful single coil (like an SSL-6) to balance in volume with the humbuckers, or a single coil that actually sounds like a traditional Strat pickup (SSL-2) but is lower volume.
              Thanks for your help on this. I’ll check out those samples as well. Balance and versatility are the most important factors for me with this guitar. I have several Strats all equipped with low output vintage sounding pups for when I want the real thing.

I would probably want the RwRp if I go with one of the true SCoils. If I go with the Classic Stack will it be noiseless in positions 2 and 4?

Comment

Any Stack pickup is noiseless in 2 & 4 if you wire them like regular pickups. If you decide to coil cut the humbuckers in 2 & 4, you have to cut the bottom pickup of the Stack, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Any Stack pickup is noiseless in 2 & 4 if you wire them like regular pickups. If you decide to coil cut the humbuckers in 2 & 4, you have to cut the bottom pickup of the Stack, too.
                  That makes sense. I had an SSH for a while and the HB (Bridge) had a coil cut in the 4th position. It didn’t sound very Stratty but it was well balanced.

if I don’t do the coil cuts on this HSH in 2nd and 4th, what can I expect from those positions? Would they be more prominently HB’s or would the Stack shine through?

Comment

500k pots?

Comment

Working...
                    X