banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipstick(N) SingleCoil(M) Humbucker(B) Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipstick(N) SingleCoil(M) Humbucker(B) Guitar?

Lipstick(N) SingleCoil(M) Humbucker(B) Guitar?

Would this be called an LSH guitar? Has anyone ever tried this configuration? It seems to me it could be the perfect guitar for myself. What am I missing? I’m guessing it would have to be a really low output humbucker in the bridge to balance.

A lipstick pickup is just a single coil, so that's a standard HSS guitar.

Comment

It also depends on what you want from a neck pickup. Most people who like the look of a lipstick pickup might not particularly like the sound of one. Traditionally, they are very weak and bright.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        It also depends on what you want from a neck pickup. Most people who like the look of a lipstick pickup might not particularly like the sound of one. Traditionally, they are very weak and bright.
        I don’t particularly care either way about the look. I used to think I would hate a telecaster until I bought a MIM one. I absolutely love the neck pup in it and was shocked how versatile it really is.

Comment

Originally posted by OctopusRider View Post

I don’t particularly care either way about the look. I used to think I would hate a telecaster until I bought a MIM one. I absolutely love the neck pup in it and was shocked how versatile it really is.
          Well, a Tele neck pickup is a little different than what is a Danelectro-style Lipstick' pickup.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Well, a Tele neck pickup is a little different than what is a Danelectro-style Lipstick' pickup.
            Oh right. My mistake. I’ve erroneously always called the Tele neck pickup a lipstick. I need to think about a Tele neck Single Coil - Strat middle Single Coil - Humbucker Bridge.

Any suggestions on this type of setup? I looked on the Duncan Pickup Finder tool but it must not be a common setup.

Comment

Vintage Tele, Vintage Flat Strat, 59 or Pearly Gates.

That's the most standard you can get unless you want to go in a different direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Vintage Tele, Vintage Flat Strat, 59 or Pearly Gates.

That's the most standard you can get unless you want to go in a different direction.
                I love those pickups. I haven’t tried the pearly gates yet but the samples sound great. Thanks for your help, everyone!

Comment

I did it the other way around. This is a pearly gates/custom alnico 2 hybrid in the bridge, lipstick in the middle, tele in the neck.

This guitar sounded so, so good. Tele sounds, stratty sounds, fat humbucker. it was just ugly as hell.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Having a zebra doesn't help the looks at all. Put a chrome cover on it and it will fit right in.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                      Having a zebra doesn't help the looks at all. Put a chrome cover on it and it will fit right in.
                      Nah, this guitar is dead as it is, my man. The neck was wonky, the body was a concrete brick. Ironically, the guitar played and sounded amazing, with sustain forever, but the looks were a nightmare.

I took off the parts, grabbed the guitar by the headstock, and smashed it against the street. I thought the guitar would split apart, but I think I broke off a bit of concrete. It took a while before the guitar broke.

I just wanted to rinse myself of my own past in a way (or was it the perfect guitar to smash my anger after I discovered my then-girlfriend cheated? You be the judge).

Comment

i actually dont mind the look actually. which lipstick is in the middle?

Comment

I had this for a while some years ago. A TV Classic with two SD lipsticks. But this is probably way off what you are wanting. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	87
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	6270387 zz0.kl3eovvnl27zz

Comment

This gives me some ideas. I definitely don’t want anything that I’ll want to destroy in the road.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              i actually dont mind the look actually. which lipstick is in the middle?
                              the older version that Seymour Duncan made. with alnico 6.

Comment

Working...
                              X