P-Rails out of phase? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rails out of phase? Help!

I've been trying to wire a P-rails into this partscaster with a standard P-90 in the neck, and the P-Rails sounds incredibly thin — almost like it's out of phase, even when the bridge pickup is the only thing activated.

My wiring goes like this:

Bridge P-Rails > 3-way mini-toggle (soldered as per SD single pup diagram) > 500K volume push-pull volume pot with optional treble bleed (that part seems to euro fine)

Neck P-90 > 500K volume pot > 250K push-pull tone knob with two different capacitors (this also seems to work fine)

Both volume knobs connect to a 3-way Kaish switch, which connects to the output jack.

One weird hiccup worth noting: the tone knob seems to run backwards, no matter what I do to it. I've tried different pots, switched around the lugs, and it still turns counter-clockwise. Maybe that's the problem? But it only connects to the neck pickup, not the bridge P-Rails.

Any advice?!

(Note: the picture below is an earlier version, where I was trying to use a Les Paul 3-way switch for the P-Rails. In that iteration, the Rails-only setting seemed to be in phase with the neck P-90, but was out of phase with the rest of the P-Rail)

You're not giving us the most important information about your P-Rails. How do you have it wired? Which wires of the P-Rails go to which lugs of the mini switch, and which wires go to each of the lugs on the p/p and to each of the lugs of the Vol pot.

What is the mini supposed to do?
    What is the p/p supposed to do?

It would be good if you could enclose several very clear pics which would allow us to see where each wire of the P-Rails is coming from, where it is going, and every connection in between. Also a diagram of what you have done.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
    X