No announcement yet.

Humbucker for splitting to Tele sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoa, ok, so I read the older Dimebucker coil splitting thread here and it seems pretty tempting! https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...od-coil-tapped

Maybe too hot as a humbucker. Probably going off the deep end here but what about a Custom/Dimebucker hybrid in the bridge with a Custom/59 in the neck?

Also, I assume y'all split to the inner coil of the bridge pickup for your Tele tones or is there a case for splitting to the outer bridge coil instead?

Comment

Splitting to the inner coil will give you a bigger sound than the outer coil of a bridge pup. The outer coil usually sounds too thin and tinny and weak.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

on my RG2 with JB/Jazz and Triple shot rings and five way super switch

I can split the JB and use it in series with the Jazz and get a very TELE like sound
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          on my RG2 with JB/Jazz and Triple shot rings and five way super switch

I can split the JB and use it in series with the Jazz and get a very TELE like sound
          OK, that's good. Great. And that answers the OP's original question..."Straight forward question: which humbucker sounds the most like a Tele bridge pickup when you split it?"...how?

Comment

Originally posted by sumitagarwal View Post
            Whoa, ok, so I read the older Dimebucker coil splitting thread here and it seems pretty tempting! https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...od-coil-tapped

Maybe too hot as a humbucker. Probably going off the deep end here but what about a Custom/Dimebucker hybrid in the bridge with a Custom/59 in the neck?

Also, I assume y'all split to the inner coil of the bridge pickup for your Tele tones or is there a case for splitting to the outer bridge coil instead?
            I have a split Dimebucker and while it is awesome I would not describe it as a Tele on steroids as they did, and it is not stratty. It is its own very cool thing. It is very thick and tight with that articulation a single provides, but in no way would you hear it and think it was any type of single coil pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

OK, that's good. Great. And that answers the OP's original question..."Straight forward question: which humbucker sounds the most like a Tele bridge pickup when you split it?"...how?
              Are you being sarcastic or....
              i respect your opinion, but sometimes i cant tell if you are messing with me or not
              EHD

Comment

i respect your opinion, but sometimes i cant tell if you are messing with me or not
                I think he's pointing out that your solution involves multiple pickups, while the OP was asking what single individual pickup can sound Tele-like when split by itself.

Comment

Sarcastic
                  gotcha

EHD

Comment

Might not exactly be the question I was asking, but still an interesting exploration of what it means to have a Tele-like sound. Doesn't bother me

Comment

Thank you
                      its the closest i could come to your request
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by sumitagarwal View Post

My own experience with the Dimebucker is explained in the topic that you evoke above: it delivers a nice convincing Fendery sound when wired in parallel - but rather Stratty than Tely.
                        Pretty logical: it has a high inductance in series, giving it the right Strat single coil alike inductance in parallel. It has also a high Q factor, just like Strat single coils, thx to its specific design - but this high Q factor and the absence of Foucault currents with this model wouldn't necessarily be the best way to Tele tones once the PU split.

Custom/59 in the neck? Should sound too woofy in most cases IMHO (unless mounted in a 24 frets guitar with not much resonant wood). My friend winder did put several years of researches in a high inductance model able to sound right in series or split in a "standard" neck position (like in 22 frets guitars) and it's not easy to achieve at all. That's why the usual advice for that is to use a lower inductance HB (SH2 Jazz, etc.) .

Regarding hybrids: unless you go Custom shop, it's not possible to do that with a Dimebucker... it's built like Bill Lawrence L500 models , whose coils are glued/epoxied in a plastic housing, without baseplate.

On inner or outer coils for split: depends on the pickups and guitar IME and IMHO... if I had no lab gear at disposal to test pickups, I'd just try, listen and decide on this basis.

Do what you want and be happy.
                        Last edited by freefrog; 02-17-2024, 12:26 AM.
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I have a split Dimebucker and while it is awesome I would not describe it as a Tele on steroids as they did, and it is not stratty. It is its own very cool thing. It is very thick and tight with that articulation a single provides, but in no way would you hear it and think it was any type of single coil pickup.
                          That's almost exactly how I'd describe a Distortion split. Great sound, but not like anything else.

Comment

Yeah, a little sarcastic. Messin' with ya. Like Beau said, I was pointing out that the OP wanted to know one pup that sounded like a Tele when split...not a combination of pups.
                            But it's all good and that was also some fine info you provided.
                            Just so you know, I generally value your opinions and contributions.

Comment

With the recommendations of blade-based humbuckers (SD Dime, Bill Lawrence), I was wondering if there were any opinions on the DiMarzio models that have one blade and one pole piece bobbin (Crunch Lab, D Sonic, Megadrive). I'm thinking I could split to the blade bobbin for the Tele type sound while in series it might sound slightly more traditional than a dual blade.

Also I'm currently planning out an HSS and I'm also thinking about putting a DiMarzio Area in the neck or middle (or both) and wiring one of the noise cancelling bottom coils to provide noise cancelling when running the bridge pickup split.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Not split, but a Custom Custom in parallel sounds like a Tele bridge.
                                Apologies to the OP for veering off topic, but that's great info. I'm trying to finalize what I want in the bridge of my Nashville, (Brent Mason), Tele, and I have a CC laying around here somewhere. I think you made up my mind for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X