GFS Tele Pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFS Tele Pickups?

I've got a partscaster with a Strat neck and a Tele body. It's setup rn for standard Tele pickups and to be honest, it's not optimal (I'd prefer to try out some less traditional pickips) but I don't really want to put the work in for it.

Guitar Fetish sells a two sets of pickups that claim to be gold foils but actually look like they are probably just single coils with a interesting cover.

I'm considering alnico gold foil neck, and one of their lipstick tubes in the bridge.

Are there any other companies that sell weird pickups for really cheap that fit in a Tele route?

My go-to for cheap pickups these days is Guitar Madness. They got a good selection of decent import pickups at super cheap prices. I don't know if they have what you're looking for but it's worth a look at least. Hope that helps.

Welcome to my eBay Store. Please add me to your list of favorite sellers and visit often. Thank you for your business.

Comment

By "less traditional pickups" are you just referring to esthetics? Gold foil neck with lipstick bridge would certainly look, well, let's just say non-conventional.
      If you want something that is different tonewise, tell us what you want to achieve.

The GFS Gold Foils sound clear and bright with lots of overtones...not just a standard single coil with a fancy cover. The 6k alnico neck version would go well with the GFS 10k Tele bridge, a great beefy sounding bridge pup.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I can confirm that the Tele sized gold foil set is just a standard single coil in a fancy cover. The humbucker sized single coils actually are true gold foils though.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          I can confirm that the Tele sized gold foil set is just a standard single coil in a fancy cover.
          Just curious, how did you determine that? What would be the difference(s) between a gold foil and standard single?

Comment

I debated buying these single coils from GFS, but when you take them apart they are just flat staggered tele pickups with a foil sticker on top. I've read that the strat pickups are the same, but I cannot confirm.

If you think about it, it makes sense though, theres not really all that much room in a tele neck pickup to put a bar magnet next to a coil
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I was asking what the differences are, not the similarities.
              Does the type of wind enter into this at all? Does a Gold Foil pup have a different wind than a typical Tele or Strat pup?

Comment

Fleor makes some surprisingly nice "cheap" pickups. A friend just built a baritone Strat with a set of Fleor singles, and he said it's one of the best Strats he's heard.

Comment

yes, absolutely. the coil geometry is totally different on a real gold foil pup.

those tele gold foils are just cosmetic obviously. theres a ton of misleading bs about these things all over the web

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Fleor makes some surprisingly nice "cheap" pickups. A friend just built a baritone Strat with a set of Fleor singles, and he said it's one of the best Strats he's heard.
                    That’s interesting. I keep seeing that brand on Amazon and I was wondering if they were any good. These import brands are killing it lately, it seems like.

Comment

I have a set of their humbuckers. Installed into a Peavey Tele, but not wired up yet. Film@11.

Comment

I like the fleor

I have some other Amazon cheapos
                        That sound goog

YiBuy
                        And MaxCheer

I got this set for my tele project
                        FLEOR Alnico 5 Guitar Pickups Tele Bridge Pickup w/Neck Pickup (Golden) Fit Fender Telecaster Pickups Part https://a.co/d/aiHuhmr
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I also have some Fleors in a guitar that was a husk for a long time and didn't want to spend much in getting up and running. I got a set of A5 hbs, I guess they're like '59s, with a 7k-ish neck and 8k-ish bridge. They're cool, sound like a PAF style pu, bright and not heaps of mid.

They have lots of different pups with different mags, wired up pickguards etc. Worth a punt; you can get a Tele pu set for like $15. There's also the related brand OriPure, which is supposed to be a bit fancier.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                            I'm considering alnico gold foil neck, and one of their lipstick tubes in the bridge.
                            For what it's worth, I have a Strat, with Duncan Designed Lipstick Tubes. Positions 2 - 4 are outstanding, but the bridge, by itself, is almost worthless. Too thin and weak.

Then again, the GFS version is wound to 8k, to the DD's 5k. That could make a big difference. (I'm assuming the DD version is close to the US specs.)

Edit: You got my brain a going. A Pair of Lipstick tubes in a Tele could be kinda cool. ("Looking", at least.)
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-17-2024, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I've tried several pups (mostly P-90) by Fleor that sounded very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X