Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Pickup options with 4 way switch

Hello all,

I can seem to find any resources detailing the exact wiring setup for my needs (it’s a bit of a strange one I’m not surprised) and was hoping to get some advice here.

I was hoping to wire 3 humbuckers into a 4 way switch to achieve:

Bridge
    Bridge+Middle (series)
    Neck+Middle (series)
    Neck

The pickups are also wired to a separate coil tap switch (not a push/pull) which I’ve already wired together, it’s just the switch I’m having trouble figuring out.

Thanks

Clanger

Originally posted by GrannyClanger View Post
    Bridge+Middle (series)
    Neck+Middle (series)
    Welcome to the forum. For these two, do you mean all four coils in series? Or each humbucker in series, and then those two paralleled? (Like a normal LP.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Welcome to the forum. For these two, do you mean all four coils in series? Or each humbucker in series, and then those two paralleled? (Like a normal LP.)
      All 4 in series, or 2/3 depending on the position of the coil tap switches

Comment

Let me chew on it. This may require a 4-way Superswitch. But let me "doodle" a couple things.

And, can I assume you wired the series / parallel switch like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Series-Parallel.png
Views:	176
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	6271152
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-18-2024, 01:46 PM.

Comment

The split switches are wired as below, one for each pickup.They are between the pickups and the selector switch, which is how it used to be when I had a 5 way switch in before removing it for another project
          Attached Files

Comment

Ah, yes. You did say "split." Still chewing.

Comment

I’ve been thinking about the switch wiring some more, is it possible at all to join the middle pickup in at the a3 and b2 lugs to be in series with the bridge (b2) and the neck (a3) pickups in those positions? Can’t wrap my head around which parts should go to ground and which to volume control in this scenario. Appreciate the input so far!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GrannyClanger; 02-18-2024, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I've been thinking about the switch wiring some more, is it possible at all to join the middle pickup in at the a3 and b2 lugs to be in series with the bridge (b2) and the neck (a3) pickups in those positions? Can't wrap my head around which parts should go to ground and which to volume control in this scenario. Appreciate the input so far!
                Maybe. Possibly. I've got to run out to my Dr's appointment, so I'll try to doodle up a couple things when I get back.

Comment

I’ve come up with this so far, which should make the bridge and middle output in series and the neck and middle in parallel. Might be pushing the limits of a 4 way at this point and I’m happy to settle on that config if that’s as far as it will go.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Your drawing implies 2-wire humbuckers. It's not a good idea to put them in series. (With another pup.) That can put the cover on the "hot" side of the circuit.

Is that what you intended, or did you just use generic HB images?

Comment

Yeah it’s just a quick mock up, they’re all SD humbuckers with the black, white, red, green and bare wires. White and red are paired together on their respective switches and the bare is going to the ground on the volume pot

Comment

Ok. Cool.

Comment

I like triple buckers - no surprise.

I like Bridge, Bridge + Middle for rhythm work, and Neck.

If I could have a 4th...I don't know.
                          - Neck + Bridge?
                          - Bridge outer and Middle outer for quack?
                          - Neck + Middle for leads with neck?

Using Three Volumes and a Master Tone, you can use a standard 3 way switch and get Bridge, Bridge + Middle, Middle, Middle + Neck, Neck, AND Bridge +Neck.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This is all going in a strat so just the one volume for me, think the parallel neck + middle will still be fun for funky plucky stuff

Comment

I’ve come up with this so far, which should make the bridge and middle output in series and the neck and middle in parallel. Might be pushing the limits of a 4 way at this point and I’m happy to settle on that config if that’s as far as it will go.
                              That's definitely not going to work for what you want. It looks like what you get from that diagram is:
                              position 1 = bridge + middle (in parallel)
                              position 2 = middle
                              position 3 = bridge + middle + neck (all in parallel)
                              position 4 = middle + neck (in parallel)

None of the pups are in series with another pup. All pups are series in themselves.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X