DD in a HSS Strat Sounds muddy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD in a HSS Strat Sounds muddy

Always liked the DD and just replaced my stock shawbucker with a DD trembucker.

Sounds AMAZING.. sort of..after playing the low strings (bar or open) chords after the first 1-3 strums it goes from nice and bright crunchy to muddy crunchy ‍♂️

Any ideas?

Amp settings stayed the same so I know the DD is higher out then the shawbucker.

Any help is appreciated

What are you comparing the Strat to?

I have a similar problem with my Strat. But I noticed the bridge pickup is way further away from the bridge than on my Gibson. So I looked for a pickguard that had the humbucker as close to the bridge as I could find. I got closer, but it's still not the same as my Gibson. Unfortunately, I feel that's just the way Strats with humbuckers sound. Less attacky/crunchy and almos more "neck-pickup-y" than Gibsons.

But my problem is not after a few strums, honestly. It's more like the attack.

Comment

I'll be honest, you've kind of lost me. Can you replicate this problem on another rig and/or with another set of hands?
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
        What are you comparing the Strat to?

I have a similar problem with my Strat. But I noticed the bridge pickup is way further away from the bridge than on my Gibson. So I looked for a pickguard that had the humbucker as close to the bridge as I could find. I got closer, but it's still not the same as my Gibson. Unfortunately, I feel that's just the way Strats with humbuckers sound. Less attacky/crunchy and almos more "neck-pickup-y" than Gibsons.

But my problem is not after a few strums, honestly. It's more like the attack.
        I'm comparing it to the same guitar with a shawbucker that was in it 2 hours ago before swapping to the DD
        Last edited by testedone; 02-20-2024, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          I'll be honest, you've kind of lost me. Can you replicate this problem on another rig and/or with another set of hands?
          Another set of hands ??

Comment

so youre saying the dd sounds good for five seconds then sounds like crap?

i always prefer the sh6b with 500k pots, not sure what you have in that guitar

Comment

I am lost, too. The DD isn't muddy at all. Can you record a clip?
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by testedone View Post

I'm comparing it to the same guitar with a shawbucker that was in it 2 hours ago before swapping to the DD
                No, I mean, you said you love the DD. I assumed you tried it in another guitar before.

Comment

Found problem, cold solder joint, all well

Comment

Yep. One of the usual culprits.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

glad it was an easy fix!

Comment

Working...
                      X