No announcement yet.

Alternative to an Alternative 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seriously doubt that the OP really has the balance problem that he has suggested which he hasn't been able to correct with some minor height adjustments.
    But then, he hasn't even responded to any of our suggestions.
    I hate when noobies do that.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

possible that his definition of "balance" differs from ours

maybe he just doesn't like the A8

maybe he will chime in and clarify
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

hmm

does this refer to the JB/Jazz combination that a large group of people use with no issue?
        Yes. I've had trouble balancing the Jazz and the JB in the past. I've expressed several times that I don't think that combo works well. Partly because of the vastly different EQ profile, but mostly because of the output difference. Especially since in order to get any juice from the Jazz, you have to crank it up, which further exaggerates what I don't like about the Jazz, and even then, I feel like it's never quite "there". Maybe it's just me, though. I mean, that combo sells A LOT.

And then the Alternative 8 is even hotter than the JB.

I remember once the only pickups I had lying around for a guitar were a Black Winter and a PAF 36th Anniversary. No matter how much I cranked up the PAF 36th Anni, it seemed like the wiring was broken inside the guitar when switching between pickups (it wasn't, BTW, I checked with the multimeterm, and back then, I had someone professional do all my pickup swaps). I HATE that, personally.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-22-2024, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Yeah that may be something else

Mine are fine

I have several JB/JAZZ sets in a variety of guitars
          And have not experienced that at all

May be my old ears dont hear what yours do

Or like you said ,
          it may be just you.

Everyone can be right
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

i totally get what rex_rocker says.

They are very differnt EQ wise (Real highs vs high mids; scooped vs middy).
            That combo is great for clean in the neck and lead and dirty rhythm in the bridge, or if you want a drastic differnce from each position.

you definitley loose a bit of juice when switching from the JB to the neck, although you can minimize this with the high adjustment.

There are better matches if you want more of a match and minimal change.
            I bet a pearly gates bridge in the neck will be a better match​
            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 02-23-2024, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Yes. I've had trouble balancing the Jazz and the JB in the past. I've expressed several times that I don't think that combo works well. Partly because of the vastly different EQ profile,

And then the Alternative 8 is even hotter than the JB.
              The output difference between the Jazz and the JB is significant. Even with the Jazz next to the neck and JB next to bridge the output difference is noticeable, but I've never not been able to compensate for the output by adjusting their heights and still retain good tone and performance from each (I guess that's an oxymoron in regards to the JB).

I also agree that the difference in EQ makes a difference in the perceived sound level.

I don't know the mV output ratings of each pup, but if "hotter" is judged by the resistance of the pups, then the JB and the Alt8 are essentially the same...only about 2% difference which is within manufacturing tolerances. But here again the EQ and magnet differences can surely make the Alt8 sound louder than the JB.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                The output difference between the Jazz and the JB is significant. Even with the Jazz next to the neck and JB next to bridge the output difference is noticeable, but I've never not been able to compensate for the output by adjusting their heights and still retain good tone and performance from each
                It's been ages since I had the JB/Jazz combo (because I didn't like it), but I remember having to have the Jazz high up to the point where it was all chrip and boom from proximity effect. I don't remember how off or usable the volume balance was then, but I doubt I was satisfied, or else, I wouldn't be making a big deal about it like I am right now.

Like I said, personally, what I do is set the bridge pickup to where I like it, and then the neck pickup to match. Never the other way around, because I'm on the bridge pickup 99% of the time. Maybe that's what I'm doing "wrong" with that set?

(I guess that's an oxymoron in regards to the Jazz).
                Fixed!

(J/K. I do like the Jazz matched with the '59B, for example, just not with the JB or high output pickups in general).​

I don't know the mV output ratings of each pup, but if "hotter" is judged by the resistance of the pups, then the JB and the Alt8 are essentially the same...only about 2% difference which is within manufacturing tolerances. But here again the EQ and magnet differences can surely make the Alt8 sound louder than the JB.
                I'm not going to argue there because I don't know what wire gauge the Alternative 8 uses, but I was thinking if they're close to the same DCR (and neither has something funky or off or untraditional going on with the wind) and one has a stronger magnet, the stronger magnet would be hotter/louder/have more mV output.​ Doesn't seem like a flawed logic to me?
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-23-2024, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I went back to my Kramer Assault Plus after reading the replies to my original post.
                  I lowered the Alternative 8 basically flush to the pickguard and it is now more balanced with the 59 neck. I will leave it in for now and at my next gig I wil make further adjustments.
                  I liked the sound of the Alt 8 and wanted to keep it. It's just a loud little f#$ker.
                  Thanks for all the input!

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
                    I went back to my Kramer Assault Plus after reading the replies to my original post.
                    I lowered the Alternative 8 basically flush to the pickguard and it is now more balanced with the 59 neck. I will leave it in for now and at my next gig I wil make further adjustments.
                    I liked the sound of the Alt 8 and wanted to keep it. It's just a loud little f#$ker.
                    Thanks for all the input!
                    If that works for you, and I've spent the entire thread arguing I'd be unwilling to do that, LOLOL.

Comment

Being flush with the pickguard is probably a bit too drastic. I will adjust the height at the next gig cause no matter how much I make adjustments at home I can never tell till I am at gig volume and hear how it behaves and blends with all the other instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
                        Being flush with the pickguard is probably a bit too drastic. I will adjust the height at the next gig cause no matter how much I make adjustments at home I can never tell till I am at gig volume and hear how it behaves and blends with all the other instruments.
                        Agree. But I think you'll find that with the band at a gig you'll want the bridge pup a bit higher and louder for leads.

Comment

If you like the pickup, swap in A3 and it will drop the output.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X