Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio Air Norton in the Bridge. I'm very impressed

Hi,

Unveiling the sonic marvel: DiMarzio Air Norton as a bridge pickup. Turn your superstrat into a Les Paul

For my blog i reviewed Air Norton as moderate output bridge humbucker for brown sound. Well, i must say i was very impressed. Long story short, turned the bridge tone of superstrat into a Les Paul kindo tone.

I was not expecting that.
    www.tonejourney.com
    www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

but put it in a Les Paul and you get a brighter tone with more cut.

The air norton is one of the best pickups I have ever heard in a LP. Hands down. it's got a bit of bite and crunch for rhythm but not so much that leads become dry. Enough output to drive an amp nicely but not so much that it overpowers everything. Cleans up with rolled volume. In the neck its clear, clean, fluid, but also warm without getting syrupy thick.

The AN is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      but put it in a Les Paul and you get a brighter tone with more cut.

The air norton is one of the best pickups I have ever heard in a LP. Hands down. it's got a bit of bite and crunch for rhythm but not so much that leads become dry. Enough output to drive an amp nicely but not so much that it overpowers everything. Cleans up with rolled volume. In the neck its clear, clean, fluid, but also warm without getting syrupy thick.

The AN is amazing.
      Bill Nash puts Air Norton in the bridge to all of his Nash-ed Les Pauls.Hes got the point, i see that
      Joe Sprunt stopped by to demonstrate this beautiful Nash Gibson Les Paul! He is using a Suhr PT-100 amp and is showing all the tonal options this incredible ...

The pickups are replaced with what many of you may balk at as there are so many opinions about Les Paul pickups and tone out there. As always, Bill Nash simply builds a guitar that he would use and leave it at that. So, in his arsenal of personal guitars, his favorite and most versatile LP setup is using a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the Neck and a DiMarzio Air Norton in the Bridge.

They then re-wire the guitar so the pickups breathe better as well as use the neck pickups tone control as a coil tap for the Bluesbucker, which gives you an amazing strat-like sound from that pickup. Between 1 and 8 on the tone knob it works as a regular tone control, between 9 and 10 it shuts off the second/dummy coil. This gives you a tap without adding switches of push pull pots.

The Air Norton give you bigger output and rich harmonics without going over the top into the tone spectrum of faceless, modern, high output sound that so many specialized humbuckers are susceptible to. These pickups have a lower string pull and a much higher sensitivity to your dynamics and playing style.

Also, as many of you may have figured out, the method Gibson uses for wiring the pots is not optimum. The tendency towards the guitar getting muddy or sounding choked when anywhere but "10". This gets re-worked when we re-wire.
      Bill Nash Gibson Les Paul Conversion Serial Number NGLP-002This is a Bill Nash Conversion of a 2010 Les Paul (done in April 2010), this is the 2nd one done by Bill for Sound Pure Guitars and is actually one of the Les Pauls featured on their video for their first LP Conversions and the one you he...
      www.tonejourney.com

Comment

the AN is a great pickup, but wtf does "They then re-wire the guitar so the pickups breathe better" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
          the AN is a great pickup, but wtf does "They then re-wire the guitar so the pickups breathe better" mean?
          I wondered about that too. Maybe he's talking about vintage vs modern wiring?
          Or highet value pots or lower value tone caps.
          Might also be about adding a treble bleed - more 'air' in the highs?

I'm interested in the trick that allows having a tone knob that behaves normally yet gives you a split option at its highest setting.
          That sounds pretty intriguing.
          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 02-24-2024, 04:21 PM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
            That was belong to the salesman, not directly Nash Guitars, i believe. But what i assume is ot the years i remember Gibsons pots sucked. Their tolerance limits were very variable while they were 330K. You might have from 280 to 430, as far as i remember my measurements in 2009-2012. So if you have a A2 PAF clones on your LP with metal covers and you have ~330K pots (in the worst scenario you have pots lower than 300K), then your may need some breathe, imo
            www.tonejourney.com

Comment

So "breathe better" = higher value pots? interesting way to put it. very "sell the sizzle" if you know what I mean

Comment

So. I saw something interesting about the Air Norton, something that is very confustng to me.

Some have a brass baseplate, some have a nickel silver baseplate. I wonder why.

Comment

So. I saw something interesting about the Air Norton, something that is very confustng to me.

1) Are the early ones Nickel silver
                  or
                  2) the later ones?

if it's 1) i think you have your answer (cost cutting). But i suspect this is not an honest question

Comment

I have never seen an Air Norton (and also Norton) with nickel silver base plate. All had brass. Can you please send me alink or photo, if you have?
                    www.tonejourney.com

Comment

Working...
                    X