banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duncan '59B with either Ceramic or Alnico 8 in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan '59B with either Ceramic or Alnico 8 in the neck?

I was thinking since it's usually cheaper and easier to find a '59 used than a Gibson 496R, that maybe I could make it into a poor man's 496R with a Ceramic magnet (I have one lying around from a Duncan Distortion neck that I have an A5 in right now) or maybe an A8 to give it some added oomph.

I just kinda want to switch things up on my Les Paul. I got the 500T back in there again, and I'm not loving the Evo right now since it's a bit bassier than I'd like.

Yeah, just listened to some clips... seems like A8 fattens things up, which I don't think is what I want from the neck position.

Comment

i put a ceramic bar in a 59n and it was fun for a while. good for fat solos, not great for clean tones

Comment

OK... so how about a stock '59B in the neck position of a Les Paul? Good or recipee for boominess?

Comment

it wouldnt be something i would do, at least with a stock magnet. you and i play very different music and use different gear. though my vintagey stuff, i wouldnt want that much bottom. though a tighter rig, it might work great

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            it wouldnt be something i would do, at least with a stock magnet. you and i play very different music and use different gear. though my vintagey stuff, i wouldnt want that much bottom. though a tighter rig, it might work great
            Yeah, no. Probably not something I want, then. I'm already struggling because I find the Evo Neck in there right now a bit too fat.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it would work quite well with an A2

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                I'm pretty sure it would work quite well with an A2
                But would a '59 with an A2 magnet would have the juice to keep up with a triple ceramic bridge pickup? I doubt it. I am doubtful of the stock A5 magnet, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  But would a '59 with an A2 magnet would have the juice to keep up with a triple ceramic bridge pickup? I doubt it. I am doubtful of the stock A5 magnet, honestly.
                  Honestly, I think it would be fine.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

But if you don't want the neck to sound "boomy" or "fat", then you could try an A7 mag in the 59n which will give you a bit more brightness and more power.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Series cap for the neck PU!!!

What about the HB103 neck PU?
                      Last edited by ToneFiddler; 02-25-2024, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Partial solution for boomy or fat is to use short allen head screws under the bass strings, heavily lower the pickup on the bass side, and raise the screws to fix string balance. Gives bite on low strings, along with considerably lower bass/lower mids. Can also look for Artie's de-mud mod.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          But if you don't want the neck to sound "boomy" or "fat", then you could try an A7 mag in the 59n which will give you a bit more brightness and more power.
                          What is A7 like? Is it oriented or unoriented? Which alnico is it most similar to?
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X