Fender Fat 50s vs Seymour Duncan California 50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Fat 50s vs Seymour Duncan California 50s

Just switched the strat pickups in one of my Strats to SD California 50s. My go to Strat has always had Fat 50s in it but I thought it was time I gave the SSL-1s a try.

They seem to feel a bit more aggressive than the Fat 50s but also very good sounding bell like chime. I did put a baseplate on the bridge pickup (but I do that with all of my single coil bridge pickups) but it does not sound thin at all.

If this was my only Strat, I'd replaced the SSL-1 neck pickup for a Fat 50 neck, but the SSL-1 mid and bridge would stay.

Interesting, when I was using SSL-1 neck and bridge it was always a problem for me to balance the treble. For example tweaking my amp EQ for a nice usable SSL-1 bridge (nice Eric Johnson tones) would lead me to an SSL-1 neck that was a bit darker and lossing its magic, conversely setting the amp for a nice SSL-1 neck tone would lead to a too bright/thin bridge.
    Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
      Interesting, when I was using SSL-1 neck and bridge it was always a problem for me to balance the treble. For example tweaking my amp EQ for a nice usable SSL-1 bridge (nice Eric Johnson tones) would lead me to an SSL-1 neck that was a bit darker and lossing its magic, conversely setting the amp for a nice SSL-1 neck tone would lead to a too bright/thin bridge.
      That is interesting and not something I'm experiencing. I do have mine loaded in a Warmoth Chambered Strat (Mahogany with Spruce top) plus the added baseplate might help balance the trebles—I have not had a Strat without baseplate in the bridge in almost 10 years to help alleviate that very issue.

Comment

I tend to like flat pole vintage singles when I can get them, so it is the SSL-2s for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X