Am Pro II Jazzmaster potential pickup swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am Pro II Jazzmaster potential pickup swap

Friends - I have an American Pro II Jazzmaster that I love - excellent build quality, stable bridge, comfortable neck, etc. While basically being very satisfied with the instrument, I sometimes feel that Fender put a little too much technology into it. I would like to accomplish two things: .1 swap pickups to something more closely replicating classic Jazzmaster sounds - by that I mean Bob Bogle/Ventures sound, and 2. re-wire the rhythm circuit to original specs. The second, I realize, is not a subject for this forum, but I would appreciate input for the first issue - so far the pickup that sounds closest to my ideal is the Duncan Jazzmaster Vintage. Any input/guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I definitely second the Duncan jazzmaster vintage for what you're asking..

As far as the rhythm circuit it's easy...

What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

The Am Pro II JM is a complex circuit. And there are at least 2 errors in Fender's published PDF wiring diagram. The upper bout 4PDT switch is more complex than that the 2PDT in a standard JM. The schematics for both circuits are below. Just adding a standard rhythm circuit would require a new switch or skipping the unused poles on the more complex Am Pro II switch; and detaching the bridge pickup from it. Or you could just buy a full harness (or wire it yourself). If so, shop around for the harness, as some harnesses are over-priced. Beware of 'special' expensive capacitors.

Comment

Thank you all for your input - I appreciate it very much! According to the above Am Pro diagram, pushing the rhythm switch to the "up" (engaged) position disconnects the two pickups from "series" configuration. My understanding (and Fender literature confirms) is that when the switch is in the "up" position, the two pickups are in "series" - the opposite of what the diagram indicates! Is this one of the mistakes in the diagram that you refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by azinn View Post
          Thank you all for your input - I appreciate it very much! According to the above Am Pro diagram, pushing the rhythm switch to the "up" (engaged) position disconnects the two pickups from "series" configuration. My understanding (and Fender literature confirms) is that when the switch is in the "up" position, the two pickups are in "series" - the opposite of what the diagram indicates! Is this one of the mistakes in the diagram that you refer to?
          No, that schematic was drawn by me. As you can see I labelled it as in series in the down position on the page as drawn - that's just a visual thing. The errors in the Fender PDF wiring diagram (link below) are incorrect wiring of the push-push for the right-handed guitar (strangely the wiring of the left-handed guitar's wiring is shown correctly in that PDF - and there is no reason why that particular wiring should be different), and the absence of a ground on the series volume pot. Luckily the guitars themselves are wired correctly. Although there have been some reports of faults due to things like bare wire ends shorting around the switches.

Comment

Working...
          X