banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD '78 or Custom Custom to pair with SSL1s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD '78 or Custom Custom to pair with SSL1s?

Hi All,

Been seriously considering converting my Mexican Strat back from SSS to HSS. I converted it to SSS with SSL1s a few years ago and while I love the neck and middle pickups, for the style of music I typically play (rock) I think I would play this guitar more if I had a full humbucker in the bridge again. I'd initially planned on replacing the bridge pickup with a Custom Custom but I'm worried that pickup might be too hot for the SSL1s, and that a 78 might be a better match. I primarily play through Marshall style amps (right now a Friedman JJ Jr through either an Ox and monitors or through a 1x12 with a 25 watt Greenback) and plan on wiring it with a bridge tone pot, and push/pull pot to turn the neck pickup on if it makes a difference.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either the 78 or Custom Custom paired with SSL1s and what their thoughts are.

Thanks!

Well, the EQ on both are sorta opposites. The CC has a lot of mids, but not as much highs or lows. The 78 is scooped. If you want the EQ to match the SSL-1s, then the 78 is the right choice. If you want a chunkier bridge pickup, the CC is the choice. You can't really go by the DCR of these 2 pickups as the EQ on both of them are vastly different. Some people might hear the 78 as louder, because there are more highs and lows than in the CC, and they may be more sensitive to those frequencies.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Well, the EQ on both are sorta opposites. The CC has a lot of mids, but not as much highs or lows. The 78 is scooped. If you want the EQ to match the SSL-1s, then the 78 is the right choice. If you want a chunkier bridge pickup, the CC is the choice. You can't really go by the DCR of these 2 pickups as the EQ on both of them are vastly different. Some people might hear the 78 as louder, because there are more highs and lows than in the CC, and they may be more sensitive to those frequencies.
      My amp is pretty mid-forward so perhaps that, plus all the reasons you mentioned, should point me to the 78

Comment

the volume balance will be better with the 78 as well

Comment

before switching back to a HB, may I suggest you to try a FS-1 ? I'm actually reverting my HSS strat to SSS with it and it's a hot pickup, perfect for classic rock with an output that matches the SSL-1 very well, you can even play some evh with the right amount of gain closing a bit the tone control on the guitar

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
            before switching back to a HB, may I suggest you to try a FS-1 ? I'm actually reverting my HSS strat to SSS with it and it's a hot pickup, perfect for classic rock with an output that matches the SSL-1 very well, you can even play some evh with the right amount of gain closing a bit the tone control on the guitar
            Thanks for the suggestion! I hadn't thought about the FS-1 but I briefly considered an SSL-5 and a Twangbanger. Frankly, for the type of music I typically play, I think I'd play this guitar more often if it had a full humbucker back in the bridge again. It seems like everytime I experiment with other bridge pickups in my guitars (single coils, mini-hums, Firebird pickups) I always wind back up with a full size hum.

Comment

There is also the Little 78.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by pentatonicwanker View Post
                Hi All,

Been seriously considering converting my Mexican Strat back from SSS to HSS. I converted it to SSS with SSL1s a few years ago and while I love the neck and middle pickups, for the style of music I typically play (rock) I think I would play this guitar more if I had a full humbucker in the bridge again. I'd initially planned on replacing the bridge pickup with a Custom Custom but I'm worried that pickup might be too hot for the SSL1s, and that a 78 might be a better match. I primarily play through Marshall style amps (right now a Friedman JJ Jr through either an Ox and monitors or through a 1x12 with a 25 watt Greenback) and plan on wiring it with a bridge tone pot, and push/pull pot to turn the neck pickup on if it makes a difference.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with either the 78 or Custom Custom paired with SSL1s and what their thoughts are.

Thanks!
                Best Duncan I have found split with singles so far is the Perpetual Burn. I haven't run a 78 yet, but have run both a Custom Custom and a 59 Custom Hybrid in the same guitar before eventually going with a Perpetual Burn. I personally wouldn't run a soft feeling A2 pickup like a Custom Custom or 78 with a pair of A 5 SSL-1's. Yes I have done it, didn't think the feel was right between the crisp and tight SSL-1's and the soft/ warm A 2 Custom Custom. Like the Custom Custom a lot by itself, but personally didn't care for it with the SSL-1's. Was really surprised the Burn was a so much better match split with singles than both the Custom and the Hybrid were. Had the same experience with both a pair of SSL-1's and also Carvin AP11 singles.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Thanks all; you gave me lots to think about!

Comment

I have STK-S4 (noiseless SSL-1) neck and STK-S7 in the bridge, perfect combination for blues and rock IMHO if you want to stay SSS.

Here's a video of SSL-1 with Pearly Gates: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTyXwkwQx8
                    Here's a video of SSL-1 with Screamin' Demon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yusDUUUAaNw

Comment

So after taking in everyone's advice, I'm going to go with a fullsize '78 in the bridge, a reverse wound SSL1 in the middle, and SSL1 in the neck. I'm having trouble figuring out wiring/what I need, though.

Here's what I'd like
                      Master volume where the humbucker sees 500k and the singles 250k
                      Neck/Middle tone
                      Bridge tone

5 way switch:
                      1: Bridge hum
                      2: bridge hum/middle
                      3: middle
                      4: middle/neck
                      5: neck

BUT, I'd also like a way to independently tap the bridge humbucker, and also get bridge tapped/neck together for tele-ish tones. What would I need to go about that? An S1 switch? push-push pot? Mini toggles?

Appreciate the help--want to attempt to do this wiring myself.
                      Last edited by pentatonicwanker; 03-15-2024, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X