banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSH with Little '59 neck & bridge. Does middle single need to be RWRP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSH with Little '59 neck & bridge. Does middle single need to be RWRP?

Going for a classic HSH strat with a Little '59 in the neck and Little '59 in the bridge. Going to buy a single coil (SSL-2 or similar) in middle. 5 way blade with auto-split in positions 2 or 4. 1 x vol, 1 x tone. So vanilla HSH switching, nothing exotic.

Here is the regular SD wiring diagram. I'm going to follow it exactly. Question: in that diagram, is that middle single coil a RWRP or regular? (For the hum-cancelling auto split in positions 2 and 4 to work correctly?)

A Seymour Duncan "neck" pup will be in-phase, and noise canceling, when combined with the stud coil of a Duncan humbucker. I'm not really sure about the "Lil" series of humbuckers. I'd assume, the inside coils, with a neck single.

Let others chime in before you start soldering.

Comment

I would asume a single coil sized humbucker should follow the same winding and polarity as a regular full sized humbucker. For example looking at Charvel's DK22 the notch position 2 is noise cancelling using a regular true single coil in the middle, hot rails is split the same way as a regular humbucker. I say call tech support to double check but I feel pretty sure about I mentioned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	highlight_char_controls_DK22_2pt_SSS_5W_Switching.png
Views:	86
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	6273005
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

I wonder if Charvel reversed the neck and middle pups? (I mean physical positions.) Normally, you'd want the bridge split to be reversed from pos #2 & #3. I'm fairly certain that a neck single is noise canceling with the inside (stud) coil of a Duncan humbucker.

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
          For example looking at Charvel's DK22 the notch position 2 is noise cancelling using a regular true single coil in the middle . . .
          I just caught what you said there. By "regular true single", do mean a "neck" pup?

Comment

Yeah, what Artie said. Go with the regular not rwrp single. Regular neck Duncan strat pups are south up. Inside coils of humbuckers are north.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              Yeah, what Artie said. Go with the regular not rwrp single. Regular neck Duncan strat pups are south up. Inside coils of humbuckers are north.
              Cheers Clint and Artie. Regular it is.

Comment

For anyone else with the same question, I also just confirmed it directly with Seymour Duncan. Middle pickup on that diagram should be a regular/standard single coil not a RWRP single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  I wonder if Charvel reversed the neck and middle pups? (I mean physical positions.) Normally, you'd want the bridge split to be reversed from pos #2 & #3. I'm fairly certain that a neck single is noise canceling with the inside (stud) coil of a Duncan humbucker.

They did, middle is the regular polarity/wiring wile the neck is RWRP, you can find it in the spec for DK22 in their website. And yes, my experience with SD true single coils is regular wind/polarity will be hum cancelling with the inside (stud) coil of a SD humbucker, SSL-6 and SSL-1 is what I have tried.
                  Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

They did, middle is the regular polarity/wiring wile the neck is RWRP, you can find it in the spec for DK22 in their website. And yes, my experience with SD true single coils is regular wind/polarity will be hum cancelling with the inside (stud) coil of a SD humbucker, SSL-6 and SSL-1 is what I have tried.
                    I have tried this, too. I had a RWRP neck (split) Classic Stack with the inside coil of a Hybrid bridge. It sounded great, and no hum.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X