The Nazgul saved my Strat - My review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
    I was going to drop a BW in my Schecter but I think I’m sold on the Naz. The big mahogany body ought to stop it from being too harsh.
    Both are cool pickups. But the Nazgul is brighter if you want that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      Isn't the Cool Rails based on the Jazz? I really dislike the Jazz, LOL.
      I have both. If the CR is based on a Jazz, I don't hear it. The CR is it's own thang. Hard to describe.

Comment

Isn't the cool rails... like... not hot, though?

The SDS-1 is supposedly hot-ish, but it's still not hot enough for my taste to balance with the Nazgul. I definitely don't want another underpowered pickup that's too bright, LOL.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-07-2024, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Cool rails is less bright than the Jazz, even when using 500k controls. However more bright than the Dimarzio 36th DP103. To me the coolrails output seems similar to DP 103, so I don’t know if it would be enough for what you want.

Comment

I'm thinking DiMarzio Norton or BC-1... or Duncan Hot Rails Neck...

That's if I do change it at some point. I don't really hate the SDS-1.I don't dislike it enough to change it right now. I'm thinking maybe I could even get some Invader poles to maximize the output and make it darker.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-07-2024, 07:12 PM.

Comment

From your description, you'd love the neck Hot Rails.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think if I replaced the neck pickup, it would be for a Quarter Pound. But not right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I think if I replaced the neck pickup, it would be for a Quarter Pound. But not right now.
                  The Quarter Pound is good, but you will hear the hum easily with a lot of gain. I generally recommend true singles only with cleaner styles.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

The Quarter Pound is good, but you will hear the hum easily with a lot of gain. I generally recommend true singles only with cleaner styles.
                    Not with a noise gate. I mean, the SDS-1 is a true single coil, but the noise gate easily takes care of it. I also had the QP in the bridge position of an Esquire, and it worked great for t3h Chuggz. I'm not too concerned about the hum.

I'm not sure if QP's shine through clean tones, personally. The one on my Esquire wasn't fantastic clean, TBH.

Comment

The DMZ Super D has the “chewy/motorcycle” top end the full size has if you’re into that. I’d go Hot Rails if you want something smoother.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Yeah, no.

The SDS-1 kinda has raspy top end that the 500T also kinda has. It's cool in the bridge position. Gives the 500T a very 90's vibe. Come to think of it, the SDS-1 would be a good match for the 500T if it were higher output. But I don't think it fits the more polished sound of the Nazgul's top-end.

Comment

Reporting back... yeah, the honeymon is not wearing off, LOL. Man, what a damn killer pickup. I think I may actually like it better than my beloved Black Winter, and I'm considering getting another for my Les Paul. I love it that much.
                          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-18-2024, 01:04 PM.

Comment

cool!
                            i must try mine!
                            it's in a box somewhere.
                            My taste has changed (again) and i might actually really like it

Comment

Finally managed to try the Nazgul and I agree with your description.
                              I feared it would would have that annoying Djent quack like i heard in some demos and read in some reviews/comments, but it's actually bright enough, so with my setup there is NO quack or cocked wah quality. The highmids are strong but it's not overbearing.
                              There is a very bright, percussive and immediate quality to the attack, which i really like!

Damn too few guitars, too many good pickups...

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                                Finally managed to try the Nazgul and I agree with your description.
                                I feared it would would have that annoying Djent quack like i heard in some demos and read in some reviews/comments, but it's actually bright enough, so with my setup there is NO quack or cocked wah quality. The highmids are strong but it's not overbearing.
                                There is a very bright, percussive and immediate quality to the attack, which i really like!

Damn too few guitars, too many good pickups...
                                Yeah, I wouldn't say it's a djenty pickup (luckily).

I guess it also depends on what guitar you have it in. I haven't tried it in anything other than my Fender Strat. I kinda want to try it on my Gibson Les Paul, but I love thte 500T in there, so I don't think I will.

What pot values are you using with? I first had it with a 1 Meg pot, but I just lowered it to 500K, and it's great still.

I will say, though, compared to the 500T, the top-end is more polite. It's obviously not smooth. I mean, it is a Ceramic pickup. It's just polished and less raspy/ugly than the 500T or the Distortion. Not to say that's better or worse. It's just different. Sometimes ugly is cool too.

Comment

Working...
                                X