The Nazgul saved my Strat - My review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't say it's a djenty pickup (luckily).

I guess it also depends on what guitar you have it in. I haven't tried it in anything other than my Fender Strat. I kinda want to try it on my Gibson Les Paul, but I love thte 500T in there, so I don't think I will.

What pot values are you using with? I first had it with a 1 Meg pot, but I just lowered it to 500K, and it's great still.

I will say, though, compared to the 500T, the top-end is more polite. It's obviously not smooth. I mean, it is a Ceramic pickup. It's just polished and less raspy/ugly than the 500T or the Distortion. Not to say that's better or worse. It's just different. Sometimes ugly is cool too.
    I have it in an Explorer. Really great match. Low string saddle is 4.5 cm to bridge PU middle (heavy strings tuned to D std or dropped C) as a refernce, since i know you think this distance is too much on your strat.
    500k Vol, 500 tone. Since i have to turn the tone lower than 8 out of 10 to notice something i think the pots are fine. Sound great the way it is, don't feel the need to change something.

The top end is great, it's ceramic alright, but i don't notice is as unpleasant as with a lot of pickups. SH-6 was a bit more fizzy and ugly, yes. I think the Nazgul does everything better (except for maybe clean), so i sold the Distortion. But yes it's unbelievable how good the Distortion by todays standards still is.
    Nah, anything grainy, raspy, fizzy drives me crazy in the long run. I like a very fine grain and therefore smooth distortion.If the grid gets too big, it turns me crazy. To achive this, my best results have been with PUs with reduced bass and lowmids.
    If it get's too smooth and fluid i lower the gain.

next up will be the pegasus. only one of those two (Nazgul/pegasus) is allowed to stay and think i am pretty much settled on the Nazgul.
    Tried the Pegasus before, but in a different guitar. Still don't think this will work as good as the Nazgul. it's has more low mids and is fatter in general, if i remember correctly. It's not aggressive enough for high gain, but also not the best choice for classic rock as i remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post

I have it in an Explorer. Really great match. Low string saddle is 4.5 cm to bridge PU middle (heavy strings tuned to D std or dropped C) as a refernce, since i know you think this distance is too much on your strat.
      500k Vol, 500 tone. Since i have to turn the tone lower than 8 out of 10 to notice something i think the pots are fine. Sound great the way it is, don't feel the need to change something.

The top end is great, it's ceramic alright, but i don't notice is as unpleasant as with a lot of pickups. SH-6 was a bit more fizzy and ugly, yes. I think the Nazgul does everything better (except for maybe clean), so i sold the Distortion. But yes it's unbelievable how good the Distortion by todays standards still is.
      Nah, anything grainy, raspy, fizzy drives me crazy in the long run. I like a very fine grain and therefore smooth distortion.If the grid gets too big, it turns me crazy. To achive this, my best results have been with PUs with reduced bass and lowmids.
      If it get's too smooth and fluid i lower the gain.

next up will be the pegasus. only one of those two (Nazgul/pegasus) is allowed to stay and think i am pretty much settled on the Nazgul.
      Tried the Pegasus before, but in a different guitar. Still don't think this will work as good as the Nazgul. it's has more low mids and is fatter in general, if i remember correctly. It's not aggressive enough for high gain, but also not the best choice for classic rock as i remember it...
      I'm not sure I want to try the Pegasus myself.

On one hand, I love Alnico 5. Especially in bridge pickups. On the other, I'm not sure I dig the Pegasus on the clips. I like that it seems to have some cool high-end detail. I don't like that the attack seems pretty laid back, and it seems like more of a fat/round pickup than fierce and aggressive. Seems to be almost the opposite of the Nazgul.

The one that I have my eye on next is the Alternative 8. I don't have much experience with Alnico 8, and the Alternative 8 seems like an interesting pickup. It seems fat, but it seems to have some bite to it as well.

Comment

The Pegasus isn't really fat and round, though. I'd say it is more scooped and tight.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The Pegasus isn't really fat and round, though. I'd say it is more scooped and tight.
          yeah no i wouldn't describe it as a fat PU, but it depends from where you are coming from.
          it's not as aggressive as the nazgul and has more low mids (at least relative), so compared to the nazgul it's fatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I'm not sure I want to try the Pegasus myself.

On one hand, I love Alnico 5. Especially in bridge pickups. On the other, I'm not sure I dig the Pegasus on the clips. I like that it seems to have some cool high-end detail. I don't like that the attack seems pretty laid back, and it seems like more of a fat/round pickup than fierce and aggressive. Seems to be almost the opposite of the Nazgul.

The one that I have my eye on next is the Alternative 8. I don't have much experience with Alnico 8, and the Alternative 8 seems like an interesting pickup. It seems fat, but it seems to have some bite to it as well.
            i wouldn't buy the pegasus at this point, but i have it laying around quite some time and every PU needs a 2nd change
            it's spring time, i need to clear out some stuff

Alt8: in the merrow clip it indeed does seem this way. seems too fat for my taste. I like more lean pickups. even the low end thump is still there with something like a EMG81 or the Nazgul.

chalkboard scratch is a good description for the SH-6 distortion. I read this on hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I honestly don't know, LOL. I'm just going by the clips, but I don't like how it comes across on the clips, but as ToneFiddler mentions, it's almost always being compared to the Nazgul, so that makes it harder to hear compared to other pickups.

Comment

Alright... so I ordered a second Nazgul for my Gibson Les Paul.

I like it that much. It's my new favorite pickup. I just kicked the Black Winter and the 500T into second and third place.

Comment

Yeah, it's great.
                  I still couldn't push myself to remove it, to test my other PUs from my collection.
                  The chuggs are so much fun. Single note and power chords also sound fantastic.
                  Screaming leads are fun with this. It's a tight and stiff PU, but leads still pop out easily and it screams and squeals jump right at ya.​

Comment

Working...
                  X