Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coils - Neck and bridge in series

Hello everybody,

I wired trough a DPDT switch the neck and bridge single coils of my SHS strat (Duckbucker in the middle) in series.
    The pickups are the Vintage staggered in the neck and Hot Strat in the bridge : the tone result is kind of muddy.
    Can I use a 500k tone pot and make the pickups go trought it but only when the neck and bridge pickups are connected in series ? Like when they are in parralel or activated solo they wouldnt be connected to the 500k tone pot ?

Does someone have a wiring diagram or just explain to me the way or path I need to do and connect for the specification of this project.

Thank you,
    Thomas

There's not really a good way to do that. You would probably be better off blending the neck pickup a little bit quieter in your circuit if you want a similar effect though.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you put a "hot" pup in series with another pup, the result is going to sound "kind of muddy". Putting in a 500k tone pot won't help the muddiness, it will only make the tone of the muddiness brighter.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Hey Thomas, got it figured out?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

vintage output single coils can sound ok in series, it wont sound like a typical humbucker though. a hot pup in series with something else probably is going to be pretty woofy in the low mids

Comment

I agree with others that it takes just the right pups to sound good in series. But if you want to try it, here's how I like to do it. By doing it this way, you prevent a "dead spot" on your 5-way switch when in the series position. Also, to be humbucking, (in series mode), the neck pup should be RWRP. I'd have to think about how to do the 250k/500k thing here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	series_mod_03.png
Views:	64
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	6273954

Comment

Working...
            X