banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

troubleshooting help for Gibson Ripper bass pickups wiring (Custom Shop pickups)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• troubleshooting help for Gibson Ripper bass pickups wiring (Custom Shop pickups)

Hi all,

I've got a pair of these that I put into a Ripper, along with a brand new wiring harness, and I'm now not able to tell where the problem is. I will get sound out of all four switch positions, but they are certainly not quite right. The bridge pickup solo is probably literally half the output of the other three pickup combinations, and then the position that I think should be out of phase sounds LESS out of phase than the other two positions with both pickups on. The position with the pickups parallel **might** sound right, but I'm not even 100% sure about that.

The first things I've got that I'm probably needing to clarify is just wire colors. The diagram for this new harness (not a direct copy of that original harness, because that exact switch is not at all available any longer) doesn't have wire colors listed every time and will just say "hot" and "ground" for two of the three wires on each pickup, with only the orange wires being named "orange." And I've had reason to think now that "hot" wires were black on the Gibson pickups, and so would be likewise for the Seymour Duncan pickups as well? And then that third wire on each pick was originally red, but on these Custom Shop ones: one is red but the other is blue. If black IS how and red [and blue] ARE ground, then I would think I've already got this figured out, but.... here I am asking for help, so.... nope, something's not-right.

If I've said enough for anyone to give me advice, please do! I'm very much not trying to be a bother, but I'm not sure what else I can be doing in this bass.

- Justin -

I'm not familiar with those pups, but typically on Gibson humbuckers the red is hot and the black is ground. That may not be of much help to you though.

From what you describe, it sounds like you've got one of the pups wired out of phase thinking that it is in phase and that's why it sounds like..." the position that I think should be out of phase sounds LESS out of phase than the other two positions with both pickups on".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I have now managed to find a not-quite-diagram showing that on each pickup two of the wires were typically just soldered on to the same lug/ground when installed, so that might help. The harness I've got has each of the six wires going out to different lugs, instead of just four. That will undoubtedly make a big difference. I'll let you know how this turns out...

Comment

And then I've also entirely possibly broken the neck pickup. How delicate are these hookup wires then? I can now only measure 15 to 10 M on that neck pickup, depending on how I have the wiring laying. Ugh.

Comment

measure directly from the pup wires, not in circuit should be like mid 7k range i think? as far as the wiring, not sure i can help much. a buddy of mine has a '76/77 ripper (i cant remember what year off the top of my head) but 1-he is on vacation so i cant check his out and 2-if the switch is different, it might not help anyway.

as far as the color codes, if you have a meter you should be able to tell start and stop (hot and ground) i assume the other wire is a ground for the plate and not part of the coil? i could be totally wrong though. if youre unsure of the color codes, you can call duncan and they can tell ya

Comment

Yeah, I've been emailing with support @ Seymour Duncan as well, and was measuring ohms with the pickup out of circuit, and yeah, still mega-ohms. I'm sending it in for repair, I'm pretty sure...

Comment

Working...
            X