SSL-5T wiring ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL-5T wiring ideas

Does anyone still use the spin a split? I’m thinking of using one for the SSL-5T I picked up.

Also think of using a global? Fender TBX for the single tone. Do the SSLs need a tone that will add more ‘glass’, or maybe 500k pots?

Good idea or should I just stick to vintage wiring? Is this overkill?

I’m not sure what this will turn into or what I will play on it. Some sort of rock to metal.
    Last edited by DonP; 03-11-2024, 11:58 AM.

i dont love the tbx, but some people really do.

spin a split is cool but i dont know if it works on a tapped single coil. ive only used it with buckers

Comment

It's not real popular, (I may be the only one), but you can also do spin-a-phase if you use the red wire for ground. I did it with a tapped Quarter Pound, but it was only useful as an experiment. I didn't keep it long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spin-a-phase.png
Views:	76
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	6273856

Comment

Hey Don, I’m the dude that sold you the pickups!

Both 500k pots and TBX would leave the pickups sounding way bright. I had a TBX on my Clapton strat for a while and while it was useful to brighten up the very warm vintage noiseless pickups, I didn’t much care for it otherwise at all.

the SSL 1’s have a very nice balanced tone and they have a bright top end. Lots of spank and are a standard for how a strat should sound Id stay with 250k pots and .047 caps

I wired the tapped bridge for auto tap in position 2 and left position 1 at full strength (using a super switch). I wanted to have a nice sounding position 2 and a rocking position 1.

Hope this helps

Comment

if i was running a ssl1/ssl1/ssl5t set, id run 250k mv, 250k mt, normally wired 5way, and a switch to tap the bridge. if you wanted to use a p/p pot instead then i would run 250k mv, 250k n/m tone, 500k b tone. either would be a great setup. the auto tap in the notch position is a fine choice too, i just prefer to have both bridge outputs available when i want them

Comment

Thanks everyone. Great info.

i have plenty of new 250k pots so I’ll go that route.

EC Strat thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can find a super 5 way or I’ll do a push pull like Jeremy mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Thanks everyone. Great info.

i have plenty of new 250k pots so I’ll go that route.

EC Strat thanks for the info. I’ll see if I can find a super 5 way or I’ll do a push pull like Jeremy mentioned.
              I debated (and still do) on doing a push / pull vs wiring for auto tap I use mid boost circuits in my Strats so I felt like doing the push pull would just be overkill. I’m not a huge fan of vintage bridge tones either - they’re ice pick for me. So I far prefer a beefier bridge

Comment

Working...
              X