banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the DiMarzio Air Norton, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an Air Norton in the neck of my Charvel 750 - if you don't know the guitar, it's basically what would happen if you overengineered a superstrat but with Les Paul specs. I quite like it, though I guess it could be a bit boomy. Great for high gain leads when you want something smoother than your bridge pickup.

I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of that guitar, and that's the same pairing I'll put in my Les Paul once I actually get around to fixing it up.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
      I have an Air Norton in the neck of my Charvel 750 - if you don't know the guitar, it's basically what would happen if you overengineered a superstrat but with Les Paul specs. I quite like it, though I guess it could be a bit boomy. Great for high gain leads when you want something smoother than your bridge pickup.

I have a Tone Zone in the bridge of that guitar, and that's the same pairing I'll put in my Les Paul once I actually get around to fixing it up.
      Is yours a fixed bridge or a trem model?

My 750 is a fixed bridge and I’m happy with a Full Shred set. The bridge pickup on mine is a ways from the actual bridge (more than the trem models) so I went with tighter pickups.

Also mine is not a solid color. Those were made of something other than mahogany.

Comment

The Air Norton is one of the best sets I have heard in my life. AN in neck & bridge. The output is a little less than the Evo, yes, but because the EQ has a bump in the midrange, it feels as hot as the EVO, perhaps a touch fatter. It's like having two women: both weigh 60 kilos but one is 175cm tall and the other is 160cm tall. They weigh the same but the way they look is totally different. I feel that is the same with these pickups.

They are not nearly as 'modern' as the Evo. The Evo is so modern it is so tight, it almost has a singlecoil vibe.

I love the AN.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Is yours a fixed bridge or a trem model?

My 750 is a fixed bridge and I’m happy with a Full Shred set. The bridge pickup on mine is a ways from the actual bridge (more than the trem models) so I went with tighter pickups.

Also mine is not a solid color. Those were made of something other than mahogany.
          Trem.

I have a full shred in the bridge of my Charvel DK24FR, and I'm really not loving it. Much too polite for my liking, it has a smoothness that I can't dial out. Might swap it for a JB, a pup I had zero interest in until I was gifted a Jackson Dinky with a JB in the bridge and I was in tone heaven.

Mine is trans coloured as well. The solid ones are alder or Basswood, I forgot which one.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

OK, so plot twist!

I'm not sure I wanna swap out the Evolution before trying the demud mod. I posted another thread where I loaded the 500T down a little with a 1Meg resistor. On the clean channel, it darkened down a bit, but on the gain channel, which is my prio, it actually fattened up a tad because the treble went down a tad, so I think the Evo (which I left alone) is working better with it right now. I'm still going to try the demud thing, but if I can shave just the tiniest amount of low-end off the Evo, I'll be happy.

If that doesn't work, I was thinking that I just mentioned that I like the 36th Anni in the OP, that I just wanted something higher output and more mid focused... and isn't that exactly what the 36th Anni Bridge is? Based on the DiMarzio site, that's actually hotter than the AN too. So I think that would be a safer bette than the AN, actually, no?

Comment

You feel the Evo has too much low end?! What kind of weird guitar do i have that I find the Evo doesn't have low end, at all, and is more like a slightly beefed up singlecoil? Yes the pickup is fine, etc etc. It just doesn't sound fat or thick, at all.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                You feel the Evo has too much low end?! What kind of weird guitar do i have that I find the Evo doesn't have low end, at all, and is more like a slightly beefed up singlecoil? Yes the pickup is fine, etc etc. It just doesn't sound fat or thick, at all.
                It's a Les Paul.

I don't get the single coil vibe, personally. I know it's an asymmetrical wind, but I actually liked the Evo Neck in this guitar better than the Distortion Neck because it's smoother and not as attacky. I hate it when neck pickups get too attacky like the Jazz or the PAF Pro.

I thought the Vai pickup that's supposed to have the single coil vibe is the Gravity Storm Neck? I know DiMarzio descriptions and EQ charts are all over the place on their site (like where they hell do they get the idea that the Dominion is a has a big/thick low-end?), but they describe the Evo Neck as "fat, loud, and punchy", and I kind of agree.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-15-2024, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post

Trem.

I have a full shred in the bridge of my Charvel DK24FR, and I'm really not loving it. Much too polite for my liking, it has a smoothness that I can't dial out. Might swap it for a JB, a pup I had zero interest in until I was gifted a Jackson Dinky with a JB in the bridge and I was in tone heaven.

Mine is trans coloured as well. The solid ones are alder or Basswood, I forgot which one.
                  I just got done playing some Thrasg Metal (Metallica, Megadeth etc.) with my 750, and it is positively one of my best playing and sounding guitars. The full shred was designed for LP style guitars - short scale, set neck, mahogany body, fixed trem and rosewood fretboard. "Warm" guitars. I could see it not being the best in the DK24FR.

Rex_Rocker, the Full Shred set might be a good fit in your LP if you decide you want something else. The Full Shred neck is a Jazz with allen pole pieces to clean up the bass, I have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    USER="45830"]Rex_Rocker[/USER], the Full Shred set might be a good fit in your LP if you decide you want something else. The Full Shred neck is a Jazz with allen pole pieces to clean up the bass, I have been told.
                    Oh, but I don't want to go to those extremes, LOL. I'm aware the FS-N is pretty much a brighter, more attacky Jazz. But I hate the Jazz being so attacky itself. I want something tighter in the neck, but still smooth.

I remember once I had a PAF Pro in the neck with something else in the bridge. I think it was a Dominion. I hated that combo since I hated how the neck position was actually the brighter of the two, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X