banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How should I pair strat single coils in parralel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should I pair strat single coils in parralel?

Hello everybody I was wondering how to pair differents pickups in parralel for the 7 sound strat mod.
    There would be a hot for strat or a quarter pound in the bridge position and for sure a duckbucker wired in parralel in the middle position.
    In the neck position I have the choice between a SSL-1 or the 5-2's, both RWRP.

So how do you proceed to pair pickups for when they will be wired in parralel?
    Do you go by their eq ? Opposite or alike?

Like if I have a hot for strat in the bridge who's tone is focused in the mids, wired in parralel with the neck single coil, should it be a 5-2 who's eq is also towards the mids or a Ssl-1 who's eq is the opposite towards highs and bass ?

Thank you
    Last edited by ThomasP; 03-14-2024, 10:05 PM.

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to know technically how to wire the pups in parallel? Or which pups would sound best to be wired together? Or which selector switch positions to wire the pups together?
    What pups do you want at each switch position?
    What is the "7 sound strat mod"?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The "7 sound strat mod" is a neck on or bridge on switch. I prefer neck on. Generally I like all my Strat pickup EQs to match eachother fairly well. You most likely don't want a RWRP in the neck, those are usually reserved for the middle because it makes for slightly more useful noise cancelation. The 5-2 and SSL-1 are fairly similar in terms of tone, so you can't really go wrong with either.​
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Of course. I knew that. It's temporary (I hope) senility. So, in addition to the normal 5 tones you also get B+N, and B+M+N.

Agree that the middle pup is best for RWRP in most normal SSS strats. But in SHS with the 7 sound mod it would make sense to have N as RWRP.

Thomas was correct about the tone of the SSL-1 and 5-2...the SSL-1 is scooped with lots of high end, and the 5-2 is more even balanced toned
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The fact that you're going for a Duckbucker in the middle, (good), opens up a couple more options. If you split a Duckbucker, (or Vintage Rails), you still get all 6 strings. But three of them might be slightly lower output. A Cool Rails is basically the same pup, but with the poles going across all six strings.

Whichever pup you choose, consider this: (I'm going to reference the CR, but they'd all work the same. And, you'd need a Superswitch.)

You'd use an RWRP neck pup. That way, the B + N position will be hb'ing. (You've already chosen that. Cool.)
          In B + M mode, you'd split the CR to the coil that's hb'ing to the bridge.
          In middle-only mode, you'd have the full CR in series. For a lot of people, a Strat middle pos is their least favorite. This would give it a little extra character, and remain hb'ing.
          In M + N mode, you'd split the CR to the other coil to remain hb'ing.
          In B + M + N, you'd have all four coils in parallel. Remains hb'ing and should sound . . . uhmm, cool.

Just a thought. Like Doc, I may be getting senile.

Edit: If you stay with the Duckbucker, split one way may be low-string heavy, while split the other way may me high-string heavy. I believe it would be subtle, but might also work out great with the neck and bridge.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-15-2024, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I have the duckbucker wired in parralel, so M + B or M + N = neck or bridge in parralel with the duckbucker (in parralel with itself) ?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
              X