Best pup for absolutely beautiful clean Les Paul bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pup for absolutely beautiful clean Les Paul bridge

In this case it's going to be pop rock country but I'm interested in your thinking overall..

Bonus points if it also crunches well...
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

59 with double thick A2. Or Fralin Pure PAF.

Lindy compares his two most popular set of Humbuckers.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Fishman Fluence Classic.

Has the sound of a '59B, a JB, and a Fender-esque single coil in a single bridge pickup.

Comment

Do you use your tone knob? Some people refuse to, which makes tone chasing very difficult. I find that it's not possible to get great clean and overdriven sounds without some judicious tone adjustment.

If you do, I am partial to Selth Lovers.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Wow. There's some good suggestions. Will check them out!

As far as controls, it's for a customer but I don't think he dials in a lot.

As far as tone, I really think he needs a jazzmaster, but he doesn't want to go 25.5

Comment

I say Antiquity. It sounds amazing in an LP for cleaner styles, but can crunch, too.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah. Antiquity or Seth Lover.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                59 with double thick A2. Or Fralin Pure PAF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HlVo4MlD5U
                Fralin Pure PAF is glassy without being overly bright; it also splits incredibly well with Lindy's partial split mod. And it takes to overdrive/gain very well.

Comment

^ Yeah it's super classy. Sounds authentic, vintage, clean, detailed and all that, but is still nice and full, and on top of that can crunch really well too.

I knew people would chime in with the typical Seth/Ant. To me, clank isn't really 'beautiful'. It's more of an acquired taste. Super thin isn't really my thing, so I would never recommend it. But some people like it so maybe it would suit the op.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Nothing clanky about an Antiquity, though.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To me, overall, bridge pickup cleans aren't "beautiful". It's either country or surf-inspired "alternative" cleans. Bridge pickup cleans always have got a sense of rebellious aggression... either that, or they are country-twang-inspired. Bridge pickup cleans are kind of an acquired taste to me.

Comment

Price? Covered or not? Does the player want the nasally focused / slightly compressed tone of machine wound coils or the broader crispier sound of hand wound PU's?...

Is it useful to recall that 50s wiring gives nice clean tones by shifting up the resonant frequency, once the vol and tone pots both @ 2/3?

Several possible references come to my mind: in the Duncan Range, Seth / Ants, yes, but also Jazz... or a NECK Duncan P.A.F. variation in bridge position (tried a PG1N in the bridge slot of a dark guitar recently, and it worked)...

Out of Duncan PU's, I've obtained satisfying clean bridge tones from a bunch of P.A.F. boutique replicas like Skatterbrane Twangbranes or Stephens Design VL1 (non limitative list)... I'd also consider T-Top's (!)... or Doyle coils... or Filter'Tron's? Add 'em a switchable 3.3nF cap in parallel from hot to ground, to have access to a darker P.A.F. voicing.

For Gibson style HB's, generally speaking, I'd rather go for specs in the Early Pat. or T-Top range, with a DCR under 8k... but it depends so much on the guitar, IMHO...

I'd just keep in mind how capacitive the whole wiring can be in a LP: redoing it with low capacitance cables might be useful if maximum twangy clarity is the goal.

FWIW: unfocused rambling of a Sunday morning. Good luck in your quest.
                        Last edited by freefrog; 03-17-2024, 02:03 AM.
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

An honorable mention should go to a PATB-1b. Killer pup. You just got to get over the cosmetics.

Comment

I was gonna say Seth's.

But I'm gonna do a different take here....DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                              Price? Covered or not? Does the player want the nasally focused / slightly compressed tone of machine wound coils or the broader crispier sound of hand wound PU's?...

Is it useful to recall that 50s wiring gives nice clean tones by shifting up the resonant frequency, once the vol and tone pots both @ 2/3?

Several possible references come to my mind: in the Duncan Range, Seth / Ants, yes, but also Jazz... or a NECK Duncan P.A.F. variation in bridge position (tried a PG1N in the bridge slot of a dark guitar recently, and it worked)...

Out of Duncan PU's, I've obtained satisfying clean bridge tones from a bunch of P.A.F. boutique replicas like Skatterbrane Twangbranes or Stephens Design VL1 (non limitative list)... I'd also consider T-Top's (!)... or Doyle coils... or Filter'Tron's? Add 'em a switchable 3.3nF cap in parallel from hot to ground, to have access to a darker P.A.F. voicing.

For Gibson style HB's, generally speaking, I'd rather go for specs in the Early Pat. or T-Top range, with a DCR under 8k... but it depends so much on the guitar, IMHO...

I'd just keep in mind how capacitive the whole wiring can be in a LP: redoing it with low capacitance cables might be useful if maximum twangy clarity is the goal.

FWIW: unfocused rambling of a Sunday morning. Good luck in your quest.
                              Love your rambling! Always can learn..

Yeah I had mentioned a filtertron, perfect pick up for this.. but he didn't like the idea..

But thanks to you and everyone for a wide range of ideas... I've got a lot of homework to do!

Comment

Working...
                              X