banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What humbuckers do you suggest for a Superstrat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What humbuckers do you suggest for a Superstrat?

Hey everybody. I'm working on putting together a superstrat and could use some help finding the right pickups. I'll probably get a Jazz for the neck position, but I need to figure out the bridge position.

I plan on playing stuff like Dokken, Van Halen, Alice in Chains, and Queensryche. Maybe a JB could work, but I'd like your feedback.

Feel free to suggest pickups from any brand as well. I'm open to suggestions.

Tone examples:

I know I won't be able to match the multitracked mayhem, but surely the right pickups can help.

So many good options...but...

JB/Jazz is a hard to beat combo for all around hard rocking.

My other suggestion might be a Distortion/59. That's more highs, tighter bass, and a more classic PAF neck.

No one pickup will hit all of that well. However, either combo and an EQ pedal going into the amp would do a lot.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I say get a JB and be in 80s heaven.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've the JB/Jazz in one of my superstrats. The JB is very good, has a lot of bite to it. Quite a few people here have complained about it having too much of an upper mid hump. Personally, I don't hear it. I think it's very well balanced.

The jazz to me is quite uninspiring, both for playing clean or for smoother leads.

I've got floyded superstrats loaded with Dimarzio Tone Zone + Air Norton, EMG 89, Sentient + Pegasus and Full Shred + modded Alnico 2 Pro. Except the Full Shred, all of those sound very good. Tone Zone is the warmest, sounds pretty good split, would probably work well for hard rock. The alnico 2 pro is probably my current favorite neck pup. The solo tone is smooth and it sounds great split if you wanna do the whole spanky strat/crystal clean thing. The EMG sounds great if you crank the gain, but it is very much a metal pup in a metal guitar.

But honestly, your amp and speakers will have the largest impact.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I have a set of EMG Retroactive Fat 55 in my Ibanez and I'm very impressed, they cover a lot of ground and don't sound like the usual 81/85 pickups.

Comment

I got a Dimebucker/Jazz combo in the Iceman that pairs well and a Dimebucker in my Superstrat that screams.

Comment

'78

Comment

I'd go with a full shred set.

Comment

I'd say JB or Distortion would be a safe bet. I think either would more than get the job done.

I don't think they sound the same, but I also think there's a lott of overlap between both. Enough to say both would get the tones on the OP.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-19-2024, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    I'd say JB or Distortion would be a safe bet.
                    And a Distortion sounds great split. A Custom Custom is also sweet in an HSS Strat.

Comment

Always under the radar, but if I ever build another Superstrat I would definitely try a PA-TB3 bridge and a PA-TB1n neck.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        Always under the radar, but if I ever build another Superstrat I would definitely try a PA-TB3 bridge and a PA-TB1n neck.
                        Killer combo!

Comment

patb3 is a great pup!

Comment

If DiMarzio is in play, a PAF/SuperDistortion is a great combo, or an Air Norton/ToneZone
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Since Dokken was the first band mentioned: go get the new Exciter, which was long known as the Dokkenbucker (later The Hunter), and is based on the modified Distortion that Lynch used in the late Dokken days.

Comment

Working...
                              X