How to - P90 in series out of phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to - P90 in series out of phase

Hi Guys, I have a puzzle, or at least to me it is.

Here is the set up:
    Two P90's
    One Volume
    one Tone
    Three way toggle

Desired configuration:
    Bridge Pup
    Neck Pup
    Neck/Bridge Series and Out of Phase

I've been able to get the pups out of phase by way of a DPDT pull pot on the volume pot. But I have not been able to wrap my mind around how to get them in series too.

Ideally, the toggle would go like this:
    Position 1- Bridge
    Position 2- N&B series/out of phase
    Position 3- Neck

Pups are two wire.

Thoughts or recommendations?

It can be done, but, you'd need a 4PDT switch, since the phase and series are two different functions. Also, on a 2-wire pup, one pups cover will be hanging on the "hot" side of the circuit. Could be a problem if you touch it while playing.

Do these P-90's have metal covers?

P.S. Does this have an "LP-style" toggle?
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-17-2024, 07:06 PM.

Comment

I'm not aware of a 4PDT that'll fit in place of a regular three-way toggle. Doesn't mean they don't exist, though.

I think your best bet would be one of the Freeway switches. They're the right size.
      And they offer six positions; you could probably wire up a few extra options that way, if you chose to...
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

These are soap bar P90's with plastic covers.

The toggle is a LP style toggle.

THe guitar is a semi hollow T style with all the controls grouped together in proximity to the output jack.

Switchcraft makes a DPDT (NC)/DPDT(NC) LP style toggle.

My preferred solution would be to incorporate the feature into the toggle but the reality may be that I will need two DPDT pull pots which is fine as well.

Right now I am able to get them out of phase (with a caveat). I did have the DPDT originally configured to put them in series but found the result to be muddy and lacking clarity. My thought is the by throwing them out of phase prior to putting them in series would add some thickness to an otherwise ultra thin out of phase sound.

Comment

Originally posted by 396Peter View Post
          Ideally, the toggle would go like this:
          Position 1- Bridge
          Position 2- N&B series/out of phase
          Position 3- Neck
          It's doable with an ON/OFF/ON 3 ways switch. Botched pic below, with twice the same schematic in 2 versions, just to be clear (?). FWIW.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SeriesP90red.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	6274527

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
            It's doable with an ON/OFF/ON 3 ways switch. Botched pic below, with twice the same schematic in 2 versions, just to be clear (?). FWIW.
            Alright. This looks promising. I'm just not completely clear how the bridge wires into the schematic.

Comment

Originally posted by 396Peter View Post

Alright. This looks promising. I'm just not completely clear how the bridge wires into the schematic.
              Doesn't matter IMHO. If it's enabled in the "wrong" direction of the switch, turning the switch upside down should solve the issue. :-)
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post

Doesn't matter IMHO. If it's enabled in the "wrong" direction of the switch, turning the switch upside down should solve the issue. :-)
                Ok, I'll give it a try. Thank you for your idea.

Comment

You can actually get combined OOP and series with just one push pull . I have posted the diagram on this forum several times. The small issue is that when p p is engaged the wiring works when selector, switch is in position one (neck pu) and selecting bridge gives you a kill switch. .Some might consider this a bonus.

Comment

You don't need a switch to get these out of phase - since you're not trying to get them in phase, just wire one of the pickups backwards.

The diagram freefrog put together is a typical north/series/south diagram for humbuckers, if you want some other Google terms to search for. This can be done with either an on-off-on SPDT or an on-on-on DPDT. The trick is going to be finding one the same size as a LP toggle. Note, this switch is in place of the LP toggle, not in addition to it.

Here's a cleaner diagram for a on-off-on SPDT:
                    Huge selection of top brand guitar & bass electronics, pickups, parts & hardware. Plus hundreds of free guitar wiring diagrams.

​​​​​​In place of the wiring descriptions in the diagram in the above link, substitute as follows:
                    North-Start = Neck Hot
                    North-Finish = Neck Ground
                    South-Finish = Bridge "Ground" (the original ground, which will be now connected to output).
                    South Start = Bridge "Hot" (the original hot lead, which will not be connected to ground).
                    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I don't know why that link isn't working, and forum software won't let me edit the post. Copy/paste that link into a Google search and it will be the first search return.
                      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
                      X