My '59 trembucker measures 9.44K ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My '59 trembucker measures 9.44K ?

I purchased this '59 from a member here on on another forum quite a few years ago with the understanding that it is an overwound '59. I know I had measured it many years ago and wrote on the back that it was 9.25-9.4k . Today I removed it from my guitar thinking of selling it, and measured the following 9.44k total with one coil at 4.85K and one at 4.64k @70 degree room temperature. I know I had installed a RC A5 instead of the stock A5. the RC magnet may also be unoriented, but I am not sure that UO even applies to A5's? Is this a particularly rare Duncan I have here? I may be selling it to a friend but realizing these uncommon specs upon it's removal I am second guessing doing that as He is on a tight budget and I don't want to sell him something at a deflated or inflated price. I just want fair market value. anyone have any info on this pickup or an idea of it's value?

Does it have a Custom Shop sticker on it?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah - I'm thinking this was custom shop. But - a 9k PAF style isn't all that rare. DiMArzio makes a few pickups in that ~10k zone. So, for what it is, not worth anymore than a Duncan or DiMarzio. Now - if the custom shop wound it, it cost a lot more. Me - I'm paying $75 max for it.

More importantly - how does it sound???
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks. No custom shop sticker on it. Just "TB59b"

Comment

Depending on condition

$35-60 bucks used

If it is scratched up with a short whip of wire
          That wil need to be replaced
          I'd be at the low end

If the duncna logo is no longer visible
          I wouldn't be interested at all

If the baseplate has been swapped
          I wouldn't be interested

Got photos?
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

that is a high reading, if thats accurate, then id pay more for it than an average tb59

Comment

59 Trembucker is listed at 8.5k. Duncan has a 10% tolerance on their DCR readings. Yours is just on the very edge of that assuming your meter is accurate. I once had a Surfer measure 5.6k one day and then 6.5k the next.

That being said, if they said it was an overwound I would see no reason to not believe them. I have seen a 10k 59 overwind before, so 9.5k is not farfetched. But then again it could just be that their definition of "overwound" just means on the high end of factory tolerance.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

F-spaced or Trembuckers always measure a bit more than their regular spaced counterparts. Something like at least 5%. Duncan's Trembuckers have the most effect at 52.6mm vs Dimarzio's 51mm. If we calculate for Duncans, 52.6mm is 7.3% longer than 49mm, and you have to double that to make a full turn. Now 42 AWG wire has 5.8 ohm resistance per meter.

Also the pickup temperature affects resistance alot. Just holding it in your hands for a few minutes can give a higher reading.
                Last edited by Tone-Analyst; 03-20-2024, 12:25 AM.

Comment

My personal opinion is that a 59 wound to 9.4K should sound so much better than a standard 59 (adds a bit more mids as well as output).
                  As far as what it is worth...in good condition probably $50-60. But ultimately it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So, whatever you and your friend decide on is what it is worth.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

or sell it to me

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      or sell it to me
                      If my Bud decides he is not interested I will let you know

Comment

A couple O' pics
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah...that has been through the wars.

And, a 10% error on Duncan side, and an error in measurement....still.

Meh - $60. 35 for the condition, 25 for the 9.5k.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That's a bit low. I'd say $40 for the condition it's in. ($35 for the condition + $5 for the overwind).
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

re:the mag - FWIW. A5 is the only alnico that's available in both regular and unoriented versions.
                              A2 & A3 are inherently unoriented, and A4, A6, and A8 are always oriented AFAIK.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X