Single Coil Neck Pickup for Drop-C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil Neck Pickup for Drop-C

I Just bought a LTD Stephan Carpenter and While I know I already want to put a Nazgul in the Bridge and basically leave the Middle the same, I don't know exactly what to do with the neck pickup. I thought about just putting an SSL-1 in it but because the guitar has 500k pots, it probably won't sound like a classic strat. I have a Strat that I put a Split/Shaft pot on the volume so that the single coils could only see 250 and the Humbucker 500, but they had two different tone controls that I could hook one or the other too, this can't to be the case here, so now I'm trying to decide how to go about it with this single coil. Thoughts?

First question is always choose between true single coil, stack, or single coil size humbucker.

What sound do you want? Do you want a strat sound? Strat neck pups work with 500k pots, it just makes it brighter. You could go for a stack and get a strat sound, but the thing is those are slightly rounded on the top and work really well with 500k pots. If you don't really want a strat sound then you could go for a sc size hb and get more of an hb sound.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I'd say a quarter pound would fit with the dropped tuning, with my direct experience, or a hot rails neck for SC sized HB

Comment

I think a SSL-6 with a high pass cap makes a good combo with the Nazgul and 500k pots.
        Or do you want the neck pickup for mostly cleans?

Comment

The SSL-1 will do. Just roll down the tone pot a bit.

Comment

id go ssl6 with 500k pots. there will be less output balance difference as well

Comment

I have a DiMarzio SDS-1 in my Strat along with a Nazgul in the bridge tuned to Drop C. It's alright.

I'm following this thread, though, as I kinda want something else in there myself. I was thinking Quarter Pound for mine. The SDS-1 is a little "rough around the edges".

I guess it also depends on wether you want it to balance or not. A regular classic Strat pickup will not by a long shot.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-19-2024, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Alright so to clarify a little bit more
                1. I already decided to put a three way switch on the guitar, so there's not going to be any "In Between" positions
                2. I'm trying to get as close as possible to a vintage 50's-60's strat neck pickup without it being drowned out by the Nazgul
                3. I play Metal/Hardcore/Djent but I also play a lot of Jazz Fusion, so I need not just a really good Clean Tone, but something that can sound similar to Allan Holdsworth playing a Strat
                I also thought about getting a SSL-52 but I don't know how good it will be in the context of what I'm trying to achieve

Comment

Originally posted by exodia333 View Post
                  I'm trying to get as close as possible to a vintage 50's-60's strat neck pickup without it being drowned out by the Nazgul
                  I think that's going to be pretty difficult. A big part of the vintage Strat sound is the low output, IME.

I would look at the bridge position pickup from any of the vintage-inspired sets. But keep in mind, those are going to be drowned out by the Nazgul to varying degrees. I've even had problems with hot-ish Strat sets (like the Fender Texas Specials) being drowned out by a modest Pearly Gates Plus.

Comment

Originally posted by exodia333 View Post
                    Alright so to clarify a little bit more
                    1. I already decided to put a three way switch on the guitar, so there's not going to be any "In Between" positions
                    2. I'm trying to get as close as possible to a vintage 50's-60's strat neck pickup without it being drowned out by the Nazgul
                    3. I play Metal/Hardcore/Djent but I also play a lot of Jazz Fusion, so I need not just a really good Clean Tone, but something that can sound similar to Allan Holdsworth playing a Strat
                    I also thought about getting a SSL-52 but I don't know how good it will be in the context of what I'm trying to achieve
                    None of those sounds I would associate with a single coil. Clean Holdsworth is nothing like a traditional Strat sound, and all of his Strats were modded with humbuckers. Standard jazz/fusion is a lot smoother than a spiky Strat sound, so I might look at some of the little humbuckers.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I had a STK-S7 in the neck position and found it too dark with 250k pots. Might work with 500k pots.

Comment

Yeah I'd recommend one of the hotter than vintage stacks since you want a strat sound. It'll be hum cancelling like the rest of ur pups, it'll work better with 500k pots, and it'll balance volume wise.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 03-21-2024, 01:32 PM.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                        X