Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Super 2 or D'Activator Neck

Hey,

Looking for the neck pickup for my Ibanez S guitar with X2N in the bridge. These two models - Super 2 and D'Activator Neck are both hot, pretty similar in terms of output, DC resistance, EQ curve (according to DiMarzio website).

So, who tried both pickups? Is there any significant difference between them in tone and overall performance?
    Fender Electric XII (1966), Fender Villager (1967), Fender Shenandoah (1967), Fender Strat XII (2003), Fender CD140S-12 (2008), Fender Tele Am. Dlx (2005), Fender Std Tele (1992), Squier Affinity Tele (2008), Ovation Pacemaker (1977)

I've only tried the Super 2 and the D-Ac Bridge.

Gotta say... I don't like the Super 2, LOL. Has kind of a cheap random Asian pickup vibe. It's really hot, but it's got a lot of everything. Kind of a dirty top-end and a messy bottom-end. I like hot neck pickups myself, but the Super 2 wasn't my thing.

Like I said, I haven't tried the D-Ac Neck, but I don't think the Super 2 would match well with the D-Ac Bridge.

Sorry I wasn't more helpful.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-19-2024, 11:41 AM.

Comment

As far as matching the X2N, I'm not really sure. The Super 2 is bright, but it's not as razor sharp as the site makes it out to be. The X2N is pretty dark, though. Could be worth a try as they've both got the over-the-top thing going on.

Out of the two, I would go for the Super 2, in that case, because the X2N is REALLY hot and somewhat dark, and out of the two, the Super 2 seems to be the fattest based on the DCR and the description on the DiMarizio site.

Comment

I’m using the deactivator-X to match with my X2N in my MIJ Charvel SoCal.

Mine is not dark at all because I have it a long way from the strings. It sounds bright and powerful and nails early Motörhead.

Never have tried a Super 2.

Comment

Working...
        X