Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project... Basswood Body

All,

Here for some help, if that's ok. I am looking to mod a relatively inexpensive S Style basswoood guitar/ maple neck and fretboard with SD Antiquities Texas Hot or Surfers. I would ideally like a HSS configuration with neck, rwrp mid and humbucker in bridge and have a few questions...

1. Can this be done? I think I can remember reading a while ago ot couldn't with Texas Hots / Surfers but cant find the article. As in HSS configuration
    2. If it can be, any ideas on what Humbuckers pair nicely with said neck / mid pickups
    3. If I was to go SSS which antiquity set would be better with bass wood

Totally happy with any weird wiring needed etc, I'd like a Humbucker that splits well if possible possibly on a push push switch and possibly add a neck pickup on switch too.

I really love thornbuckers for mid / clarity and bareknuckle nail bombs / ragnoraks but think the later night be overkill. Do SD do a suitable equivalent

Any help you can give would be much appreciated

Well, Ibanez makes a bunch of stuff from basswood so that should present some examples to inspire you. Also, it's easy to cut and carve - should you be so inclined.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Cheers I'll have a look. It wasnt about the working with that would / making the guitar but will those pickups sound the best with that wood. If that makes sense

Comment

Surfers are great. I haven't tried the Texas Hot
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

No problem using those in an HSS setup.
          What type of sound do you want from the Bucker?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Mainly rock, mid push so I know a thornbucker is ideal on it's own. Just have no idea how itll play with say a Surfer or Texas Hot mid / neck

Comment

I think the Texas Hots would be out of phase with the Surfers, if you decide to use one of each.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

they are, but ive mixed them before with fine results. cant remember what i did, i think flip wires and used a neck texas hot in the middle. i could figure it out if you want to go that way

Comment

Cheers Jeremy / Mincer... Having owned both Surfers and Texas Hots in other strats I probably gravitated towards the THs more. They are both superb pickup sets but the THs just squeaked it. That was in an alder body though.

Since covid the prices of antiquity pickups has nearly doubled in the UK. I am reluctant to fly down that route without some feedback from proper experience / expertise... Hence speaking to you good people

So to confirm would this work...

Bass wood body / maple neck and fretboard - For completeness it's a Jet JS 400. Want a very cheap guitar to output with killer pickups / hardware.

SD Antiquities TH Neck, RWRP mid and an Antiquity JB in bridge?

Would they play nice together? Through up any issues wiring issues? Could the thornbucker plus be used instead of the JB?

Many thanks Lee

Comment

Also not opposed to using 2x neck pickups in neck / mid slots... but I have no experience with that. Would you get much variation in sound? What would position 2 be like because with a standard SD TH set up it's pretty awesome

Has anyone used 2x neck pickups?

Comment

If you use 2 neck pickups in the neck and mid, you wouldn't get hum-cancelling in the middle position, but traditionally, that isn't a big deal- that's the way many HSS guitars are wired.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X