banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning off wax after removing pick up cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning off wax after removing pick up cover.

I am resurrecting an old (2001?) set of MIK B and G pick-ups ...basically the same or very similar to a set of 101 DDs. Plan on fitting these to a very cheap EPI to help out someone with no spare cash. Covers are now a bit rough, so thought I would just remove. Is the time-honoured method of cleaning off excess wax still, a hair dryer and cloth?.

If you want to remove the wax only from the surface, then a hair dryer is not the way to go...it will also melt the wax inside the pup (wax potting).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What is the recommended technique?

Comment

Just chip it off and use a cloth to wipe off the remaining. You could use a hair dryer if you just use it enough to melt the surface wax but not enough to melt the potting. That's tricky but it can be done. You still have to use a cloth to wipe afterwards.

Comment

Has anyone here tried naphtha? I've been wondering about this for a while, but too chicken to try it.

Comment

i just always take a chopstick or something to gently chip off the wax, then wipe off the rest with a cloth.

Comment

After chipping of the majority of the wax and wiping with a dry cloth you could try a cloth with naphtha to get the final swirl off.

Comment

Many thanks everybody. Gentle use of a hair drier on a low setting plus a small stick and wiping cloth and a final wipe with lighter fluid seems to have worked
                Last edited by Gstring; 03-22-2024, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X