Just Installed A SD Jazz and JB In My Friends Gibson Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    What were the original pickups? Burstbucker Pros?
    They were Burstbuckers.

Comment

The only thing I like better than a JB and Jazz . . . is a Jazz & Jazz.

Comment

I do love the normal jazz

I think i may try the a2 in one just to see
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I had a Jazz in the neck of my LP for many years. Never really loved the JB in my LP. I assume the Burstbuckers were aftermarket? A 2000 Standard should have come stock with 490R/498T. The Jazz was a significant improvement over the 490R in my '99 Studio. Looking back, I can't say the same about the JB (granted it's probably been two whole decades since I had a JB).
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Nothing sounds cleaner than a Jazz neck

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
              I had a Jazz in the neck of my LP for many years. Never really loved the JB in my LP. I assume the Burstbuckers were aftermarket? A 2000 Standard should have come stock with 490R/498T. The Jazz was a significant improvement over the 490R in my '99 Studio. Looking back, I can't say the same about the JB (granted it's probably been two whole decades since I had a JB).
              I'd say swapping both the 490R/498T or the Bursbucker set for a Jazz/JB set is a crossgrade, honestly. I like the 498T as much as I like the JB, personally. I'd even say there's lots of overlap between them.

I know you don't like the JB much as I don't like the Jazz, but I don't think any of the pickups on those sets are objectively bad pickups.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-30-2024, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Gotcha.

I love the JB, personally, not so much the Jazz. But the JB is a more vesatile pickup than what many people give it credit for.
                Are you sure you don't have that backwards?
                I love the Jazz, personally, not so much the JB. The Jazz is a more versatile pup than what many people give it credit for.
                I especially love the Jazz bridge model in the neck...a little more mids and oomph. I've also tried the Jazz with an A2 (Alnico 2 Pro) in the neck, and it is wonderful.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Are you sure you don't have that backwards?
                  I love the Jazz, personally, not so much the JB. The Jazz is a more versatile pup than what many people give it credit for.
                  I especially love the Jazz bridge model in the neck...a little more mids and oomph. I've also tried the Jazz with an A2 (Alnico 2 Pro) in the neck, and it is wonderful.
                  Both are versatile enough, IMO. I really don't play anything other than high-gain chuggs in the bridge pickup. But the JB was made for Jeff Beck, and people use it to play Death Metal and Pop Rock, so that makes me think it will do. Didn't Allan Holdsworth use a variation on the JB as well?

I've never questioned the verstatility of the Jazz. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it won't work for a variety of players. I do think I would prefer a Jazz B in the neck better than a Jazz N in the neck. I agree. Especially matched with something hotter like a JB. I honestly don't dislike the Jazz on its own. I do think a '59B/Jazz N set works great. I just don't think it works that well when matched with something hot (like a JB) to really high output (like a Distortion), but that's just me. Most people seem to make it work, though.
                  Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-30-2024, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I'd say swapping both the 490R/498T or the Bursbucker set for a Jazz/JB set is a crossgrade, honestly. I like the 498T as much as I like the JB, personally. I'd even say there's lots of overlap between them.

I know you don't like the JB much as I don't like the Jazz, but I don't think any of the pickups on those sets are objectively bad pickups.
                    Any experience I've had with the Burstbuckers would have been in a guitar shop many years ago. But the 490R/498T or JB/Jazz certainly aren't bad, they just all didn't work for me (Jazz actually worked very well, but I landed on a '59n). I'm 90% sure that the 498T was still in my LP when I recorded one of the best rhythm tones I've ever had. The 498T was also the best pickup I ever tried in a Mockingbird I used to have. It was always an "almost but not quite" pickup for me.
                    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post

Any experience I've had with the Burstbuckers would have been in a guitar shop many years ago. But the 490R/498T or JB/Jazz certainly aren't bad, they just all didn't work for me (Jazz actually worked very well, but I landed on a '59n). I'm 90% sure that the 498T was still in my LP when I recorded one of the best rhythm tones I've ever had. The 498T was also the best pickup I ever tried in a Mockingbird I used to have. It was always an "almost but not quite" pickup for me.
                      I love the 498T. It's got a similar kind of raspy/rude/ugly top-end that many Gibson pickups have that gives them so much character, but it's not as over-the-top as the 500T. It's sorta stuffy like the JB can sometimes be, but the raspier high-end offsets that better and gives Gibsons that have it a very "Gibson-y" vibe.

The 498 and 500T are my favorite Gibson pickups, but I also like the Burstbucker Pros.

I don't like the 490R, but I overall don't like underpowered neck pickups, and the 490R for some reason in my experience has always been particularly underpowered.

Comment

The 490R is just plain bland. How they used this as stock for high end guitars, I have no idea.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love the 498T. It's got a similar kind of raspy/rude/ugly top-end that many Gibson pickups have that gives them so much character, but it's not as over-the-top as the 500T. It's sorta stuffy like the JB can sometimes be, but the raspier high-end offsets that better and gives Gibsons that have it a very "Gibson-y" vibe.
                          That's exactly why i hate them.
                          They are kind of grainy, raspy and also congested in the mids. I don't know how that even works, but all my Gibson are original Pickup free, unless i plan on selling them.

A mag swap in the 490R can be enough though. But there is definitely a better PU out there for everything quality you think you might hear in this PU.

Comment

Working...
                          X