banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passive Alternative To Jeff Loomis tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Alternative To Jeff Loomis tone?

What is the closest match to Jeff Loomis Blackouts as passive pickups? the guitar is an ibanez rg3120 with renewed switch, cabling, pots etc. (I play through a soundcard so output isn't important)

Last edited by Mertay; 03-26-2024, 05:36 AM.

I'm interested as well. Always wondered what the Loomis Blackouts were like. I'm not a fan of the OG blackouts, but I really like Loomis and his tone.

Comment

My Loomis blackouts are my fave active pickups ever. I still keep a guitar with an emg 81 in it, but though, because nothing does quite what it does when I want that sound, but the Loomises are phenomenal. Nothing like the basic blackouts, which are way too woofy, loose, and hot. The looms are very tight, with a "just crispy enough" treble to be articulate without stabbing my ear drums, and still hot, just not ridiculously so.

I'm not sure what passives are quite like them. I guess my Pegasus/Sentient combo isn't terribly far away, but they have much less output and a bit less "sproinginess" (sorry, can't think of a better word). Not quite as round. The Super 2 is also in the stadium EQ wise.

My industry source says the Duncan has some fresh new blackouts models coming soon, tho, so I might have to experiment lol
      Last edited by RanchManSandy; 03-29-2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
        My industry source says the Duncan has some fresh new blackouts models coming soon . . .
        Ooh. Waiting with bated breath.

Comment

I wonder what's going to happen with the EMTY's, as I think Mick Thomson's been playing Fishman lately.

I wish they'd offer the Loomis BO's in standard spacing. The bridge pickup is too wide for almost any pickup ring or pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I wonder what's going to happen with the EMTY's, as I think Mick Thomson's been playing Fishman lately.

I wish they'd offer the Loomis BO's in standard spacing. The bridge pickup is too wide for almost any pickup ring or pickguard.
            It would probably hinge on who owns the design. Sometimes SD renames the pickups and re-releases them, and sometimes the artist doesn't allow that.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X